Studio Equipment Feedback..Do I have GAS?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Studio Equipment Feedback..Do I have GAS?!

So right now my set-up looks like this:

NI Machine, UC-33E, Keyrig 49, Tannoy Reveals, Yamaha Mixer, Audio 8
    ****Just added Apple Wireless Keyboard & Magic Mouse (moved laptop onto a shelf on side)

NOW DO I HAVE GAS?! (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Looking to get a pair of Dynaudios BM12A for $1000 (pair), Presonus Monitor Station for $200 of GC used, and MOTU UltraLite MK3 for $400-500 or Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Reasons for buying what Im getting:
    Dynaudios = superior monitor, crazy good price 2 for 1, and I'll use Tannoys for Secondary Monitors (A/B referencing)
    Monitor Station = Take that yamaha mixer out of the situation since it colors the sound, dont need all those inputs on yamaha mixer, cleaner setup
    Soundcard = Dont know if I should go with MOTU or Focusrite but basically I play every weekend twice a weekend so every time i want to produce I need to hookup my audio 8 and it gets annoying this way I can just walk in an get right to work plus more flexible with inputs & other features that audio 8 doesnt offer
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Yeah you have GAS but that's not a bad thing, I am engaging in some similar sluttery at the moment. I can justify it if it is really necessary things like monitors or sound treatment or must haves so if you need better monitors go for it. I'll enable you.

From the looks of that pic tough you need to work on your monitor placement if you can center yourself against a wall and pull the desk out.

It made a huge difference for me setting up my area properly and I am in the process of getting GIK panels then some Focal CMS65s. Even with the Rokkits it went from unusable sounding like crap where I had them in an alcove/corner at another spot in my appt to sounding comparatively gorgeous right now just because they are placed right. The stereo image is amazing now and I can only imagine how good it will sound when i get better monitors and treatment. i didn't really comprehend just how important placement was until I placed them right.

where are you getting a pair of BM12As for $1000? I'm really set on the Focals but would consider otherwise since I don't have $1600 right now.

Tech Guru

Ya im trying to figure out the best way to place my stuff in my room considering it is a bedroom. Im thinking of moving things around see if I can position it away from the wall and im actually centering the desk this weekend but I was watching studio rescue on youtube and he does a mirror trick which I might try to apply to my room. I was actually thinking of getting a room correction kit aswell maybe from IR I dont know how well those work though.

But do you think the items (besides the monitors) are needed I think the presonus monitor station would be a nice add and soundcard to get the best sound to my monitors.. what do you think? what soundcard do you use?

how do you know how many panels you need to get by the way?

And suprisingly I found them at B&H $1000 for the pair when I saw that I was like wow that is a really good deal.
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

What's IR? And what room correction kit? If you mean a thing with a test mic and filters dont bother.

If you are getting acoustic panels go with GIK, it is hands down the best and performs way better than anything else out there for the money.

As for panels it is determined by budget and I was posting in a thread on gearslutz and the owner of GIK was giving tips (he wasn't even pushing GIK products I was thinking of going DIY at that point and didn't know who he was) and when I decided I wanted to go with GIK he said to fill out their form and I've been emailing back and forth with one of their acoustic designer to come up with the best plan within my small budget.

I'm probably going to get 2 or 4 GIK 244s and one box of 3 GIK 242s plus a couple metal stands. Possibly a monster bass trap.

As for soundcards I'm honestly not sold on needing an ultra high end card just for monitoring. I think treatment and monitors is way way more important than a sound card just for output and will make way more of a difference. That said I just realized you have an audio 8, I tried that route for production ditch it quick and just get something with balanced outs, I'm using a komplete audio 6 for now and a soundcard is low on my list to upgrade but the KA6 is great for the price.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 04-24-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Asking this question on djtt is like going to a pub and asking the regulars to help with your recovery
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Asking this question on djtt is like going to a pub and asking the regulars to help with your recovery
    ya I figured that either no one would respond or one or two but I feel if I posted on gearslutz it would deff get ignored

Anyways thanks Xone for clearing that up I was actually thinking of getting one of those test mic kits, forget that and Im gunna take some picture of my room tonight aswell as measurements and send that in ASAP my room is roughly 10x13 with a height of
    8ft just outta curiosity how big is your room and what was your budget aswell trying to figure out whats a decent price!

and as for sound cards the KA6 is roughly between 200-300 I think Ill just save up that extra money this way I dont even have to think of upgrading it for a long time

I'd go for it if I had the money…with some caveats.

The Dynaudios are awesome. The only reason I'd hold back is that it's just a cost…and if you don't have adequate room treatments, any difference between them and any halfway decent monitors (which you have) is completely irrelevant. You're already correcting for the room more than anything else, and better monitors won't change that. If you don't have room treatments, get them first.

The Central Station is supposed to be decent…but it's not exactly high end. I can't tell you whether or not it's good enough, but a lot of people use them. I think I'd probably go with a Mackie Big Knob over it based on features unless I could afford a Dangerous Monitor-ST, which is hands-down better……and a lot more expensive. Any of them are hands-down better than your Yamaha mixer, so it's just a matter of which price point you want to jump in at.

I'd get the sound card without question. Plugging/unplugging stuff like that is annoying as hell. Absolutely worth the money if you have it. If not, buy a cheaper sound card for your production rig. Time is worth more than the cost of a decent sound card.

Tech Guru

Ya I contacted GIK acoustics to get some information on how I should setup panels in my room Im deff. going to get the room treated. So Im going to get that first.

I was considering the Big Knob but many say it colors the sound and everyone who I talk to say that the presonus monitor station is better since it doesnt color the sound and outlasts the big knob (some say big knob breaks often)

About the soundcard Im deff gunna scoop one up soon trying to figure what order I want to buy everything in

maybe I should buy as follows:

- Panels
    - Monitor Station
    - Soundcard
    - Dynaudios

Is that good?

What else is running into those speakers? Depending on what you're doing, you might not need the monitor station.

And I've heard that about the big knob vs. monitor station as well…and the exact opposite. I have no idea who's right anymore.

Damn I can't believe the BM12As are $1000 shipped for a pair from b&h, cheapest price anybody else has them for is like $1800 a pair. I may pick them up for that price when I can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast