Offering my services out there for my fellow board members (Mastering and consulting) - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I deleted it because I thought it pretty rude.
    Your a good man. I don't care what people say about you, you're hands aren't that big

Tech Guru

any tips on the mixing process I feel like I understand it but just wondering if you have any tips you wanna throw out? and ill will be contacting you for mastering once I finish up this EP im working on
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Best think to remember is that less is more.

The less tracks you have, the cleaner your mixdown will be. Spend a lot of time listening, and don't be afraid to delete stuff that isn't working even if you spent a lot of time on it.

For doing mixdowns, I'm personally a big fan of subtractive EQing. The more you take away, the more room you'll have for other parts to breath and have their own space.

And for the love of God, don't put your kick at unity at the start of your mixdown. it will be counterproductive and you'll spend more time chasing your tail trying to fix things then needed.

I personally set my kick to where I start seeing about -10db on the master, and then mix everything around that. Don't try and make it LOUD when you're doing your mixdown, just try and get everything balanced and sounding as clean as possible.

And take breaks! Once you finish your first mixdown then stop. Turn off the music, take a walk, make something to eat and so on. Give your self a chance to recoup and give your ears a chance to relax.

After this I personally would just try and work on a different project I have in the works, be it something I have in the arrangement process, writing process or another track ready to be mixdowned. After a day or so has passed and you had a chance to clear your "palette", then come back to it and just listen to it. Anything that doesn't feel right should just jump right out, and you'll be able to recognize it and adjust it right away.

Tech Mentor

Shout out to Jason. Great guy, great mastering. Just finished this one for me a few days ago, sounding great!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567