Painting jog wheels
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Default Painting jog wheels

Hey guys

I know there have been some threads on here about painting the VCI-100, and I'm going to use a few of them to finally paint mine once I get the firmware upgrade on it (three weeks without a gig means I'm going to get a little productive).

I know I need conductive paint for the jog wheels so it can still pick up the electrical signals from my fingers. Well, what are good brands/types of conductive paint that aren't just silver or nickel? I was hoping for something darker, maybe black or red.

Also, is there a specific technique for painting the jog wheels? I would think that sand/prime/prime/paint/paint wouldn't really work on this.

So yeah, being I have absolutely NO experience with this, please, educate me.

Thanks
    J
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Are you sure they use electrical signals and aren't pressure sensitive?

I think it'd be /really/ important to figure out exactly how they pick up input before choosing a paint.

Edit: keep in mind I really have no idea how the vci-100 works
    Last edited by Segfault; 05-13-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: possible idiocy

Tech Wizard

dude i just sanded mine and then spray painted the tops of them with universal black automotive spray paint, they turned out great and work perfectly. idk what you would need conductive paint for?

Someone had mentioned it in another thread. If they don't then I'm good
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

I'd look it up just to be safe, but I'm poor and wouldn't be able to afford another one.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I just scratched with my VCI 100 jog wheel using a wooden spoon so im guessing that theres no conductivity as wood doesnt conduct electricity (if i remember right from school).
    I would not consider this to be a very scientifically based experiment but the results were convincing enough.

It sounded shit.

i just repainted my jog wheels after the original paint job i had given them. i wanted to make this paint job last, so i went for the sand/primer/primer/paint/paint job. last time i didnt have any problems with the touch sensitivity through just some normal spray paint (didnt check for conductivity), so i thought i would do the same. however, this time, i believe the primer had something to do with it, because when i put the jog wheels back on, they were no longer touch sensitive. so basically i ended up resanding the jog wheels back to bare metal and only applying a few thin layers of paint, and they are touch senstive again, and still look just as pretty. so my advice would be skip the primer and just go for a few quality, yet thin, layers of paint

As long as the paint that you put on them isnt too thich then the sensors will be able to pick up the electrostatic electricity from your fingers - you will just have to turn up the sensor levels a bit.

Just be careful not to put too much paint on and it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    I'd look it up just to be safe, but I'm poor and wouldn't be able to afford another one.
    this will definitely not ruin your controller. first, you still have the underside, unpainted part of the jog wheel. if all else fails, flip the jog wheel over and you have a shiny new silver jog wheel. secondly, it was very easy to sand off the first paint job that desensitised my jog wheels in the first place, and just paint it over again

Thanks guys

Lot less for me to worry about
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast