switch to Traktor?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default switch to Traktor?

Hey there, first post on the forums. I'm currently using Virtual DJ Pro 7 and considering switching to using traktor specifically to get and use a midi fighter classic. I got the demo and messed with it a little. I realized I will have to completely map my numark mixtrack pro myself to whatever I want in traktor. My question pretty much is, do you think that switching to Traktor is a good idea and worth it to use a midi fighter? I can already tell that Traktor is a much more powerful program and I have heard that many times before. Thanks guys!!! let me know what you think!!!

You can find 30+ mappings for the Numark Mixtrack Pro here:
    http://traktorbible.com/freaks/mappingone.aspx?id=150

Maybe one of them can serve as a base for your own mapping
    www.traktorbible.com/freaks
    The largest (and original) Traktor midi maps portal on the internet.

Tech Convert

Honestly I think the audio quality difference between Virtual DJ 7 and Traktor is worth it on its own. I still use Virtual DJ for a quick mixes if I don't want to plug my mixer in, but the sound makes me cringe after hearing how clean the sound is on Traktor (in comparison). I would recommend changing, it's a bit daunting at first because there are no overlapping waveforms, but you get used to it quickly.
    Pioneer DDJ-Ergo - Traktor 2 - English/Bhangra/Hindi DJ

i can't comment on audio quality but i would't say traktor is more powerful than vdj. midi mapping is waaaay more powerful in vdj than traktor *but* the effects in traktor are much much better than in vdj. depends on what u want to do i guess. vdj8 may be very interesting... personally i do love the layout and effects in traktor tho but am currently routing audio into ableton to use extra vst's. in vdj u can use vst's within itself - no need for a separate app.

this forum is very traktor-centric so don't believe all u read
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Don't forget: You can also buy a selection of the great Taktor effects as a VST plugin ("Traktor's 12") which you could use in every DAW, Ableton Live or in Serato (with the bridge) and maybe even VDJ (I don't know if there's a workaround to integrate VST plugins into VDJ but you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    Don't forget: You can also buy a selection of the great Taktor effects as a VST plugin ("Traktor's 12") which you could use in every DAW, Ableton Live or in Serato (with the bridge) and maybe even VDJ (I don't know if there's a workaround to integrate VST plugins into VDJ but you'll see.
    no workaround needed surely? at least on pc u can use vst's. the sticking point may be on mac tho...

good point re: traktor's 12, i only read about that the other day. i may pick that up and run all my effects inside ableton (even tho i'm routing traktor *into* ableton ) just so i don't have some effects in traktor and some in ableton.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Quote Originally Posted by iamcolbs View Post
    Hey there, first post on the forums. I'm currently using Virtual DJ Pro 7 and considering switching to using traktor specifically to get and use a midi fighter classic. I got the demo and messed with it a little. I realized I will have to completely map my numark mixtrack pro myself to whatever I want in traktor. My question pretty much is, do you think that switching to Traktor is a good idea and worth it to use a midi fighter? I can already tell that Traktor is a much more powerful program and I have heard that many times before. Thanks guys!!! let me know what you think!!!

MIDI fighter can be mapped to Virtual DJ.

The only thing Traktor has over VDJ is better effects.

I know I will probably get flamed for this since this seems to be a Traktor rich forum. But VDJ offers way more than Traktor does. I came from Traktor and used it for about a year. Switched to VDJ back in Jan 2011. Been doing clubs with it ever since and the few on mobile gigs I've done. In clubs I've used it as a vinyl DVS, and MIDI. Have been spinning video with it for the past 6mos. Recently running it with Ableton for the past week now. I have still yet able to find any limitations of VDJ at this point.

Just to show some feature of VDJ:
    Support for up to 99 decks if you are into remixing
    Downloadable samples and effects (granted again, that Traktor has way better effect processor and able to chain effects)
    VDJ can support 99% of MIDI controller and other capable devices out there
    VDJ run circles around any video software out there
    VDJ can run as a DVS
    VDJ can run with any soundcard out there, even SL boxes
    VDJ can be used to broadcast
    iTunes integration
    VDJ can recognize keys and can suggest songs that go together key-wise.
    Free upgrades for life is you are VDJ Pro user
    Oh an for premium members, you have access to Grooveshark so if you have internet access you can play music you don't even have in the library and it will suggest like music that you are already playing

Previews of VDJ 8 shows Ableton like functions for on the fly live remixing.
    Last edited by DJ ATX; 04-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    I know I will probably get flamed for this since this seems to be a Traktor rich forum.
    indeed this forum is way too traktor centric. i keep meaning to have a better look at torq 2 as well.

the new pricing of traktor hasn't made it any easier for vdj tho... i just can't justify 300usd for a copy of vdj when i already own traktor pro 2. i know updates are free for live but that doesn't ease the initial purchase pain not so bad for users of the mixtrack as i think the upgrade price is only 150. i keep meaning to try and find someone who has a mixtrack and hasn't registered the vdj license yet or something...

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    no workaround needed surely? at least on pc u can use vst's.
    No doubt you can! But I don't know if you can use VSTs in VDJ. But what you can do for sure is syncing VDJ with a host for your VSTs (like Ableton) and route your audio

Tech Mentor

I have used both but I do like Traktor better. Traktor has bigger and better waveforms imo. Traktor is much more visual, easier to read the waves, see when you have a loop engaged, also the track info is a lot easier to read in Traktor than VDJ. The overlapping waves in Virtual DJ are just OK for me and the effects are better in Traktor. The effects in VDJ don't trail off, meanng that in Traktor if I engage an echo and then turn it off, the echo will trail off, in VDJ the echo just stops, also if I stop a track with an effect engaged, like echo, the same thing, in Traktor the effect trails off, in VDJ in just stops. I think there is a way to achieve what I'm saying but I haven't used VDJ that extensively.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast