Thinking about changing controller and software
    Tech Wizard

Default Thinking about changing controller and software

I recently just got back into DJing a few months ago. I came from technic 1210s back 8-10years ago so moving over to digital dj was something I was always against but now I love it. Anyways, I bought a Allen & Heath Zone DX with Itch. Now I can fully say that I do not use the Zone DX to its fullest extent as I am just getting use to mixing with 4 decks and all the new features. I do spend a lot of time with Hot Cues, Loop Roll and LPF/HPF fxs.

Now that I am getting back into more techincal things I really would like to add a Midi Controller pad such as a Midi Fighter or a Akai pad as I just cant perform the build ups and dub stup style club music I like to mix to on my current setup. Personally I love Itch, but IMO midi support isnt coming very quickly unless you use MITCH or key mapping for the SP-6 sampler.

With the price drop of the EAN VCI-400 I have strongly been thinking about that purchase as it has a built in midi pad as well as the ability to add DJTT great maps. Though I have heard some issues with it and I am also not sure I want to witch to Traktor has I have always been around Serato.

I want to get some input for you guy about what controller and setup you would seriously consider a switch to where exernal MIDI is a MUST.

Thanks everyone

Tech Wizard

anything?

I had a Xone DX for a while (I did the DJTT review) but but never got into it and Itch as much as my VCI-100 and Traktor. The guy that bought it loves it!

What got me so stoked about the DX and Itch 1.6 was the "hands on" deel of the unit and it's tight integration with the software. You didn't feel like there was a separation of "the unit controls the software", both worked together and I found myself using the mixer as, well a mixer! Reading the VUs and EQing to the sound. Itch 1.7 was a loss for me, I felt a disconnect between the unit and the software...

I've recently moved to a Twitch and Itch 2.2 has me as excited as 1.6. They have worked out a lot of bugs and Itch now can be set-up to your taste; full blown quantized mixing or simple "beat match it yourself" and several flavours in between. And the extra touches on the Twitch are a LOT of fun.

But Itch is not Traktor. It is a different beast. The customization of TP makes it an incredible tool, and the effects in it are just killer. Midi mapping is a pain and NI seem to have no intension of making it any easier. Do a couple of complicated maps in that tiny little window and you'll see what I mean.

In the end it comes down to what meets your needs best. The Mitch app is nice, but you can do a little more with Bomes (see the article on multiple Itch controllers, nothing has changed). But you can do "more" in Traktor, the DJTT mappings demonstrate that!
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the reply pilmat. I agree with you on the new version 2.2. I like it much better than before. I do love my Zone DX as well, very seemless intregration with itch and its just all around easy to play with. Very solid controller. But it does leave me wanting more, my biggest want is MIDI mapping. I want to be able to bring more into my mix and more custimzation. I would like some more cue points, midi. Every controller seems to leave me at a short fall so I think what I need most is a control that I can expand on, which sounds like im either switching to Traktor or I need to learn how to run Apleton and The Bridge.

I would love to switch to CDJs but I just do not have 4-6000 to invest right now