looper unit?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looper unit?

Tech Wizard

Default looper unit?

I went to a concert the other week and for the opening act a woman used some sort of a looping unit with which she recorded herself making numerous sounds with her voice and then by playing them back, she created a whole song - I was very intrigued.

The unit had the shape of a keyboard and it seemed to have several memory banks and one big record key on the left side. I was too far away to see the brand, but perhaps it was Korg. Does anyone know what the unit might be? Also, is there a special name for such a performance?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    I went to a concert the other week and for the opening act a woman used some sort of a looping unit with which she recorded herself making numerous sounds with her voice and then by playing them back, she created a whole song - I was very intrigued.

The unit had the shape of a keyboard and it seemed to have several memory banks and one big record key on the left side. I was too far away to see the brand, but perhaps it was Korg. Does anyone know what the unit might be? Also, is there a special name for such a performance?
    Skrew the looper units, check out what kid beyond is doing with Bomes Midi Pro and Ableton, you will be able to rock that stuff way harder than any looper box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8mlSWWZ9zQ very very very cool, i plan to implement some elements of this into my setup at some stage.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Skrew the looper units, check out what kid beyond is doing with Bomes Midi Pro and Ableton, you will be able to rock that stuff way harder than any looper box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8mlSWWZ9zQ very very very cool, i plan to implement some elements of this into my setup at some stage.

Yes, yes, I've seen this video before - this is what the woman's performance reminded me of in the first place!

damn..that's crazy

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    Yes, yes, I've seen this video before - this is what the woman's performance reminded me of in the first place!
    May there be no compromising then lol.Theres a ton of information about this on the Bomes Midi site.

I want to use it to capture controllerism gestures then add even more over the top of them. Its possible to build an entire song piece by piece out of cue point juggles from multiple songs with the Traktor routed to Ableton combo
    *drooling*

Where you at an Imogen Heap show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIbfzK2spg

@ chilly that link has been taken down
    "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation." - Youtube

Last edited by Chilly; 06-30-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added the regular youtube link

I spy Ableton Live on the laptop.

How much practice must that have taken to get that right? Building up stuff from layers is not hard, but making it sound musical while you are building them, and doing each layer on the first take including overdubbing the loop as it's recording is virtuoso work.

And that's without effects. Add in effects on each take and you're into seriously interesting territory (add in BeatLookup and things might get even stranger).

Definitely Ableton Live

The interesting part comes in when you have it set up to work so smoothly where you don't even need to look at the laptop...u just know what's going to happen from ur controller.

It's beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast