Travel and DJing (backpacking, vagabonding, etc)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Travel and DJing (backpacking, vagabonding, etc)

I am considering hitting the road and doing the nomadic vagabond thing and just traveling around and DJing where I can get a booking along the way. I have heard of a few ppl who have done something like that. Throw a small midi controller in your backpack and while you are out slumming it hit up a club or 2 in whatever city and get random bookings to make money to move on to the next city. Some would call this busking or vagabonding. Anyone do this, done this, know someone who has, or have any opinions.

BTW, been DJing off and on professionally about 15 years (got my first job DJing at age 14). Started on tables and dual cd players, moved on to CDJs, then back to tables with Serato, and now getting a compact, lightweight midi (VCI 100 SE probably).

Thanks,
    Matt

Tech Mentor

It would be pretty cool in the romantic artist kinda way, but if you got robbed you'd be screwed
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

VCI-100s are pretty solid (and therefore heavy). Plus no soundcard. I can still get mine plus an audio2 plus a 15inch laptop in my laptop bag, although I wouldn't want to take it round the world.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    VCI-100s are pretty solid (and therefore heavy). Plus no soundcard. I can still get mine plus an audio2 plus a 15inch laptop in my laptop bag, although I wouldn't want to take it round the world.
    Yeah I carried just serato box + a laptop around japan and I was hating it. Took an Audio 8 and VCI-100 to Miami and it was a pain even though I didn't really move around a lot with it. I'm considering a Macbook Air to lighten the load; that along with a K2 should be all I need next time - no extra sound card needed as it's built in. Ideally you could just carry your usb stick and the venue will have computer and/or CDJ-2000s, but things aren't usually ideal.

Where are you going to be vagabonding?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine
    It would be pretty cool in the romantic artist kinda way, but if you got robbed you'd be screwed
    So don't get robbed. Seriously this is true no matter what you're doing - if you get robbed you'll be screwed so take whatever precautions you can whether or not you're carrying a laptop.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

MacBook Air, Numark DJ2Go, done.

I mean, you'll possibly look like a bit of a walls, but hey...
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

this sounds like an awesome idea! only thing i can say is pack light i suppose, macbook air and usb stick seems like the way to go i suppose, but its really also up to your style too no?

I say grab a 13' laptop, a S2, and a comfortable bag and hit the road man. I wish I had the balls to do it, but i love sleeping in beds and shit :P but more power to you.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Got a friend doing a similar thing. He just got a tonium pace maker, it's actually a very cool device. Check them out, relatively cheap on ebay now.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Tech Convert

Thank you for all the replies... I thought about the VCI or S2. I am really intersted in the VCI 380. Anyone know which one is bigger in size and weight?

i´d suggest an x1 an audio2 and a small laptop for this kind of trip. vci100 as well as s2 are way to big and heavy.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast