Auditions for residency? HOW, WHEN, WHERE.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Auditions for residency? HOW, WHEN, WHERE.

So i have my mind/heart set on auditioning anywhere and everywhere for some form of residency or simply to start getting some Gigs, problem is im a huge newbie and have no idea how to get started.

Any feedback/help/advice any of you can give me on simply finding auditions or how to even go about getting started, ive included my soundcloud below for added feedback if you guys think im just not ready. Thanks!

Soundcloud.com/jayquil

Maybe slow down a bit, you really can't expect to just get a residency right away before having some experience can you? Also I've never heard of auditioning for a residency, usually people get them from experience and knowing people who see what you are capable of.

Also genuine question, not trolling, how did you get 4000+ soundcloud followers in what looks like a couple months?
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 04-27-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Tech Wizard

I totally agree with you, i likely don't have the experience most have, ergo considering the term audition (as i have no idea how to go about this). I genuinely just want to play for a crowd and get into the same, not looking for "fame" if that's what you were thinking. Appreciate the feedback man.

Regarding the soundcloud thing, DJ'ing is more of a hobby (passion by night type of thing), by day im a marketing genius that works for what we'll say as one of the largest internet firms in the world . lol All white hat marketing, things just picked up and I'm loving the feedback i'm getting on soundcloud which is all seemingly positive, which is why i want to get out and get people moving.

Quote Originally Posted by JayQuil View Post
    So i have my mind/heart set on auditioning anywhere and everywhere for some form of residency or simply to start getting some Gigs, problem is im a huge newbie and have no idea how to get started.

Any feedback/help/advice any of you can give me on simply finding auditions or how to even go about getting started, ive included my soundcloud below for added feedback if you guys think im just not ready. Thanks!

Soundcloud.com/jayquil
    also...if your in new jersey like your beatport thing says...

Good luck busting into the club scene at all...The dj's/ HEAVY AIR QUOTES" producers" here litterly buttfuck eachother in a little click and dont even look at others...and i litterly mean this for almost every club from deko to bamboo....best bet is to start producing and eventually get good enough where you can get the hell out of here...thats what im doing non the less

2 local clubs to me are running a competition to find a new resident, 30-60 minute set to impress. Look out for something like that?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    also...if your in new jersey like your beatport thing says...

Good luck busting into the club scene at all...The dj's/ HEAVY AIR QUOTES" producers" here litterly buttfuck eachother in a little click and dont even look at others...and i litterly mean this for almost every club from deko to bamboo....best bet is to start producing and eventually get good enough where you can get the hell out of here...thats what im doing non the less
    Funny stuff man lol, Yes i am a jersey native but i totally understand the demographic which is why all of my marketing/pr efforts are pushing the tri-state angle.

@AtgAgni: How do you keep up to date on these type of comps, just club hopping?

All the local clubs are on twitter and Facebook so I keep an eye on most but I'm also in them 2 or 3 nights a week! You need to be involved it the scene, the best way to get a vibe for a club and learn a crowd before you play to it is to be familiar with it by being part of it!

Tech Wizard

some of the older methods of getting yourself noticed are great, although i havent tried them yet as im not up to a level im comfortable with to start whoring myself out to clubs this is what i will do when i am:

1. make lots and lots of cd's with a cover and everything and then proceed to leave them in random places everywhere you go, hand them out to people you meet and know and when you go out clubbing bring some with to give to barstaff and other people. (with the takeover of online music getting a cd is more meaningful these days and to people that may hire you shows your motivated) for mine im going to do 3 mix's on the cd of each a different genre, dnb electro house + trance/oldschool 90's music/garage , showing you have range can only be a good thing and it means the cd's you spent hours making will appeal to more people.

2. Talk to the promoters/club owners that spam there shitty events to you on facebook! it could be you djing the next one!

3. Take any gig you get ( cant be too picky starting out, even if the place is a dive it might have someone there who is looking for dj's for a better place etc. you never know!

4. soundcloud mixcloud etc. : from reading the comments above i guess u got this sewn up ( unlike me!, cant do the online '' nice mix, please look at mine if you have time ) , club owners and such only want money, they dont care what your doing sounds like aslong as the place is full and people are buying drinks and staying , if you can show them you'll have an army of 2000 fans coming to watch you perform they will be a lot more inclined to book you!

5. Existing contacts , your friends may know people or you might that help you get onto the first rung of the ladder, this is the case in my area for 99% of the dj's (in the 12 clubs local to me id say 11 use top 40 style '' fade out of one track and into another'' dj's on the weekends ), i even talked to the resident at the biggest one who fits into the afformentioned category and he admitted plainly that hes '' not a great mixer, but knows how to use the mic '' . As they say, its who you know not what you know!

Quote Originally Posted by AtgAni View Post
    I'm also in them 2 or 3 nights a week! You need to be involved it the scene, the best way to get a vibe for a club and learn a crowd before you play to it is to be familiar with it by being part of it!

That about says what you need to do.

You need to meet the people that can hire you. That how its done. DJing is an image thing. Will you fit in the image of the club. They can't tell that via email, FB post or soundcloud link. Although they help. Networking is the way to go to learn who the players are in your area. Bottomline, get out there and shakes hands, make friends, let them know you are a DJ and you are looking for a spot. Once there are interested, that where your FB page and Soundcloud come into play.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    That about says what you need to do.

You need to meet the people that can hire you. That how its done. DJing is an image thing. Will you fit in the image of the club. They can't tell that via email, FB post or soundcloud link. Although they help. Networking is the way to go to learn who the players are in your area. Bottomline, get out there and shakes hands, make friends, let them know you are a DJ and you are looking for a spot. Once there are interested, that where your FB page and Soundcloud come into play.
    This seems like the best piece of advice, i club hop all the time and am now networking to get my name out, makes sense with what im doing, thanks man, i really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast