SSL Mixers: Which allow for the best navigation of the software?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SSL Mixers: Which allow for the best navigation of the software?

Looking for some education here.

Mixers such as the Rane Sixty-One/Two have the serato soundcard integrated within them, and don't need the SL box. This is a huge advantage, and to me it's one less piece of hardware to lug around. The biggest advantage that I see coming from serato-based mixers is that software control can be done directly from the hardware itself, and not the computer.

I'll expand on why I like this. I currently run an NS7 + ITCH, and the mixer section has a nice little section over the EQs that allows for software navigation. This includes an awesome knob (tactility, size, spacing are all incredible), navigational buttons such as 'crate' and 'load' and of course 'load a/b' buttons. The NS6 has something very similar. Here are some snapshots:

NS6.jpg

NS7.jpg

Essentially, the only time I'm touching my MacBook Pro is when I'm actually searching for a song on with my keyboard. This is HUGE. I cannot tell you how much of a step backwards it would be for me to 'upgrade' to SSL and have to use the fucking trackpad to drag tracks onto decks A&B. This may sound fickle, but trust me; muscle memory has ensured the software navigation panel is now an extension of my hand and I can EASILY pull any track in my crates in a matter of seconds. If you are going to try and disagree with me and tell me that fiddlefucking around on the trackpad is just as good and is just a mild inconvenience that all SSL users have to embrace, then don't bother with a reply.

So, for those of you who can understand what users want in terms of SSL-integration; what mixer best fits the bill? $ is no object.
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

Check out the denon hc1000.

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    You are a man I love.
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    Or even better, the Kontrol X1 - it works with both Traktor and Serato, and I beleive it's also lighter and has a smaller footprint than the HC1000
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

The LEDs on the X1 don't work with SSL though, unless you use midipipe which a pain in the ass. The denon is a better bet as it's well labelled and automaps to serato. Don't get me wrong, the X1 is excellent for traktor, but until SSL sorts out its lack of midi out there are better options.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Heh…the hc-1000 is still on top for SSL? That thing's been around forever.

Not a bad thing, necessarily. Also a little cheaper than the X1. Unfortunately, nothing to control effects (because it was designed before SSL had effects).

It amazes me really.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

i have the dicers which i mapped it if that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Heh…the hc-1000 is still on top for SSL? That thing's been around forever.

Not a bad thing, necessarily. Also a little cheaper than the X1. Unfortunately, nothing to control effects (because it was designed before SSL had effects).
    Interesting. Both seem to have their advantages. I had no idea the X1 was compatible with SSL. I admire the tactility of NI's stuff, and effects situation might not be a big deal, as I'm looking to invest in a high-end Pioneer rig with effects that will trump Serato's suite. Looping from a knob isn't too appealing to me either, and I prefer having a button for each loop size (a bit like the dicer)... WHY AM I SO HARD TO PLEASE
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

I've had some luck with an LPD8 (or the top of my MPKmini, which is the same thing basically) as well. You need to play around a bit with mapping, but yeah. Mapping in Serato is stupidly simple anyhow, though you can't really get all that advanced.

I'm honestly pretty surprised that there hasn't been an update to the Denon unit that also incorporates FX. I'm sure there would be a huge market for it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast