DJing as a Team (Pair)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default DJing as a Team (Pair)

Myself, and djhipnotikk are having a party this saturday, I was wondering, how do those of you who dj with a partner do it. What are the dynamics that you have that make this work.

More specifically,
    -Single Comp/Dual Comps (if so midi sync, or just alternating turns?)
    -How does this enhance the mix (is it just more time to think of a good song/ more creativity)
    -Downsides?

So yea (Midian, Kaon, JesterNZDJ) what are your details (if you don't mind sharing em)

Also are there any techniques that having 2 people opens up that you can't do with one?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I've done this with my friend Cliff (you met him at the party).

We've done it with me on the comp and him on CDs (which isn't very different from two comps, in the end).

We do all of our beatmatching and all by ear. What we've done is run my rig into a four channel mixer that his decks are in so he has some control over my EQ. We do everything on the fly and just try to make the songs and transitions as interesting and exciting as possible.

It enhances the mix for us because we both come from very different backgrounds as DJs (he's House and pop, I'm industrial and trance) and it allows us to overlap songs that we would have never thought of doing before.

The main downside is that the mix can go terribly wrong if someone stops paying attention. If the beat falls off, or communication stops occuring things can just end poorly.

The thing is I'm talking about layering mixes together. If we're talking about just going back to back then I've done that so many times with other DJs, and it's just fun to do.

I haven't done the collaborative thing too many times, but every time I have it's been a blast.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

i also play out with a friend of mine every once in a while. we both run traktor on separate systems and do all the syncing by ear. you can peek at the other persons laptop and have a look at their bpm, adjust your tempo to that bpm, and then match it by ear. that way, once its matched, the 2 songs will stay in sync perfectly as long as you dont mess with the pitch. i run an all midi setup, while he mixes externally on a djm800. i usually mix 4 decks while he mixes 2 or 3, which frees up a channel on his mixer. it works quite well actually, i run the outs of my soundcard to the free channel of his mixer, that way he can adjust the master volume of my setup and do some additional external effects all through his mixer. Another plus to this setup is that i can play solo, he can play solo, or we can both play together, all without switching anything in the setup, which makes switching djs a breeze.

i am quite keen on djing as a duo actually. you have to be on your toes, because you dont always know which track or sample or loop is going to come on next, and yet you still have to find something nice to mesh with that. but i guess thats why i like it. it keeps things fresh.

Aaaah the good ol' 2x4. few things are as fun.

I remember when the 2x4 had DJs facing eachother battle style. ^_^ Hands flew everywhere and it was always a crazy experience. (2 DJs, 4 Turntables. 2x4. muahahaha)
    ----
    Unrehearsed collaboration, usually comes down to knowing music well enough that you can "jam" and understanding the non-verbal cues to "jamming" You both not only need to be paying attention to the crowd but paying attention to each other and be able to pick up on their cues and give the other one cues.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

i defintely like tag teaming as it gives you more time think of a track, and keeps you on your toes because the other DJ's library is different than yours.

Tech Guru

Damn we are definitely going to try this out, does anyone have any info on syncing two laptops ala hawtin style, as this will allow me to play with loops all crazy like and still be able to come back in time. Can we send midi over an ethernet cable. There are actually going to be 3 djs there, however one guy has a 300 and is using itch, can itch be synced also? if we could all sync our laptops that would be pretty crazy, might be kinda hard not to step on toes, but we'll see. I am also seeing about getting some freestyle rappers to come expand our retinue and possibly some BBoys so this party should be pretty fun. Will have pics up for you guys in a few days.
    Thanks for all the input.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

I'd say just do it all by ear. Or, if you want to get really simple, just give a standard tempo and everything will be sync'd by ear. Shouldn't be that hard.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

That's what we did last Sunday. Standard tempo, we started with 128BPM, ended up on 134 I think.

9 DJs spinning b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b:
    - 2 with traditional dual TTs( one with a dual SL1200MKII and one with dual SynQ Xtreme TTs) hooked up to Traktor Scratch Pro,
    - 1 with 2 CDJ800s(Traktor Scratch Pro),
    - 1 with 2 Denon DNS3700s(switched between TSP and regular CDs),
    - 2 guys on 1 BCR and Traktor DJ Studio 3.4.3 ( ),
    - 1 on a Reloop RDJ MIDI controller and Traktor Pro,
    - 1 on a VCI-100SE Ean Golden edition, rocking Traktor Pro
    - and 1 girl on an EKS Otus in Traktor Pro.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

wow... that must have been a sight to see
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    That's what we did last Sunday. Standard tempo, we started with 128BPM, ended up on 134 I think.

9 DJs spinning b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b:
    - 2 with traditional dual TTs( one with a dual SL1200MKII and one with dual SynQ Xtreme TTs) hooked up to Traktor Scratch Pro,
    - 1 with 2 CDJ800s(Traktor Scratch Pro),
    - 1 with 2 Denon DNS3700s(switched between TSP and regular CDs),
    - 2 guys on 1 BCR and Traktor DJ Studio 3.4.3 ( ),
    - 1 on a Reloop RDJ MIDI controller and Traktor Pro,
    - 1 on a VCI-100SE Ean Golden edition, rocking Traktor Pro
    - and 1 girl on an EKS Otus in Traktor Pro.

pix plz?

*** edit

this is my 1999...I hope that my 2k post doesnt unlease the Y2K bug on the forum.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast