Best way to start out? HELP needed!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Best way to start out? HELP needed!

Okay so,
    - Im totally new to the WHOLE DJ scene but i have such a passion for music and figured that i wanted to do more with it and get good at mixing and generally playing around with great music. Problem is- i have no ided where to start. I have a good set of speakers and a laptop but thats it.
    - I would appreciate any set-up guides, materials i can read up on and generally some pointers in the right direction.

thanks,
    WillS

Tech Mentor

1) Download Virtual DJ or a demo of Traktor.
    2) Youtube tutorial videos and utilize this forum's search feature / blog
    3) ???
    4) Profit

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    1) Download Virtual DJ or a demo of Traktor.
    2) Youtube tutorial videos and utilize this forum's search feature / blog
    3) ???
    4) Profit
    equipment to start off?

Download the demos of Virtual DJ, Mixxx and Traktor and play with them every day for a month. When you are not playing with the software, be on this forum reading posts.

Read about midi controllers, CDJs, turntables, different companies products, look up controllerism and turntablism. Read as much as possible.
    When the month is up, pick which software you like the best. By then, you should also know what kind of gear to buy, how much it will cost, what it will do, and to use it.

Once you have some choices, ask our opinions of them, and then go out and buy whatever YOU want.
    Practice EVERY day, and don't get frustrated when it doesn't work. DJing takes time and practice.

Don't be afraid to post here if you don't understand something. We are all nice people, and will help you out, just use the search button first. Your answer may already be there.

And, have fun.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by WillS View Post
    equipment to start off?
    Like dripstep said, don't even bother with equipment yet. First choose your preference in software. Then, learn the heck out of it. When you get annoyed at having to click everything, you'll know exactly what it is you're looking for in a controller or DVS system.

These are all wonderful suggestions. 10 years ago this would have been an easy decision but a difficult startup because you decided between CDjs or turntables, then chose a mixer, etc... heavy on costs, and little choice on the medium. Today there are WAY more choices on medium and a much lighter start up cost. Definitely try all of the different softwares. I just recommend Traktor because it was really intuitive for me and reliable when I started using software to dj, but of course to each his own. Traktor 2.5 might be a bit more confusing and its moving toward a mix between ableton and a dj program so be weary, it might be confusing at first. If you really want some hardware to start I would say get something cheap like the m-audio xsession and just mess around a bit, learn what a crossfader does, the basics of volume, and equalizers, cueing, etc. You can always sell gear as you upgrade to more advanced things.

ps just curious but what style of music do you think you might be djing? Don't really limit yourself here with a response; it just helps sometimes with suggestions. Like top 40's music is usually just cued up and volume faded (though there are some pretty amazing top40's djs too). If its hip-hop I would recommmend having some scratch functionality. If its 4 to the floor you'll want a decent mixer and effects etc. Not saying these are the exact recommendations but it helps

Tech Convert

Okay guys there's some absolutely awesome help here and it's just what I was looking for. In reply to the last post, I'm looking to be a DJ in the area of house music/light dubstep/electronic. Does that change anything or do I sill approach it in the right way?
    Thanks again guys

I would say stick with the plan still. The key to house music is beat matching, so for the future I would recommend some physical controller that allows you to control tempo. Personally i grew up beatmatching with turntables, i love the feel and they have amazing control, but can be pricey and also take up a lot of space. Traktor has a sync function that automatically beatmatches, im sure the other programs have something similar, but in my opinion you are missing out on a key technique that house djs should know. You wont need tolearn it right away or for a while. S2/S4 users, is it easy to beatmatch with the jogwheel and tempo without the sync? If you go the s2 s4 route in the future i recommend ignoring your computer when you beatmatch, just listen to the beats catching up to each other to line up.

Oh ps, im sort of leading you down the traktor route unintentionally, if you see another controller online or program you like better then please feel free to use those. I can just tell you that the most competitive programs are traktor, and serato in terms scratch functionality (controlling digital music with physical records, cds, or external controller). These arent your only options but 80% of people can recommend at least one of those.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast