Two DJ's working at one
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Two DJ's working at one

I've been wondering, how can you connect two mac book pro's a 4 channel mixer and a MIDI control and what sort of DAW is most compatible to use with them. Also while playing live using Virtual DJ or a program compared to it. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have an idea how its done?

Thanks!

i think this has been answered several times but iīm gonna tell you how me and my buddy did it:
    in the beginning we were using both traktor mixing external and having our synced to the master clock of one of our laptops via midi through our soundcards.
    nowadays we still do the same without syncing our traktors to the master clock. itīs called beat matching and it keeps you busy while your partner is playing
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    itīs called beat matching and it keeps you busy while your partner is playing
    What kind of foul sorcery is this?

You can use the MIDI clock in Traktor...but you'll need MIDI interfaces and cables etc.

When I spin with another DJ I just beatmatch...it's really pretty trivial when Traktor already tells you the BPM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

DAW: Ableton

DJ software: Something that can FOLLOW midi clock (because Ableton can't do it propely).

In this setup Ableton will be the master and your DJ partner will need to use sync to his clock tempo.

Thats how I'd do it anyhow to keep things in time - each to their own though.

Or yes you could just beatmatch to each other but IMHO it leaves you with more to do and less crowd focus - every second counts.

Heres a guide for midi over LAN btw .. may come in useful.

http://homestudioguide.com/HowToSetu...NUsingOSX.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post

Or yes you could just beatmatch to each other but IMHO it leaves you with more to do and less crowd focus - every second counts.
    Damn, I don't want to start a sync vs beatmatching argument, but that quote is just priceless.
    What do you do ? Are you playing music or you're starring, spying everyone's movement in the venue ?

I truely belive this is the worst excuse EVER to defend sync. Just be honest with yourself and with people around you and state it : you are too lazy or you can't do it. But come on, no more silly excuses.

More on topic, I agree with the "beatmatching solution". MIDI clock and stuff is way too much hassle when you can just take 30 seconds and beatmatch.

vdj's midi clock doesn't work.... you can connect 2 controllers to 1 laptop and share the screen but use an external monitor so you get a screen each... Or if you have some time you could duplicate the skin file to spread over two screens, but change all the "y" positions.... it would be a bit of a pain though... vdj8 will support multiple screens with a detachable browser, but it is unknown if you can create modular desktops, but it's not too much of a stretch since you are able to directly resize the window without modifying the BMP file, if it's using vector images to build skins it will definately be possible.

...but beatmatch ftw! but you can even cheat by looking at their bpm
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I think this is the worst excuse in the world to sync as well. A good experienced dj can beat match a track in well under a minute.

Yeah when I spin back to back with my buddy, I use Serato Scratch Live on the vinyl, and he's using Traktor with the SCS3. Usually we will just tell the other person what BPM we are spinning, and then match it by ear. It's pretty quick and simple. The only thing is getting the levels the same, but that's just simple adjustments really.

For awhile I was trying to use Ableton and getting his Traktor to act as the MIDI clock. But eventually I just got sick of trying to jump through hoops, and I decided I liked just playing with a DVS rather than silly business with Ableton (since I haven't been doing much on the production side of things lately).

Like other people are saying though, just practice with your buddy and work on getting it by ear. It's an invaluable skill if you want to mix in and out of others.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    The only thing is getting the levels the same, but that's just simple adjustments really.
    Agree on that. But that's something to do before the so-called "performance" begins, so yeah just setting up 2 master output knobs and you're done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast