iPad Advice

Thread: iPad Advice

Tech Wizard

Default iPad Advice

So I wanted to get some opinions on whether I should pick up an iPad 1 or 2 for mainly the variety of iOS music apps (instruments, effects, Garage Band, Nano Studio type DAWs, all-in-on DJ apps), TouchOSC, Lemur, and more. Leaning towards the 2 because of the increased RAM and other factors, but just wanted to know in general from maybe users of both versions if the 1 could sufficiently cover my requirements since I can get it significantly cheaper. Looking into the 64GB WiFi versions of both if that matters.

Any advice would be awesome!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

2 definitely ... 3 if you can afford IMHO.

Like any other device later versions will further proof you somewhat, and it seems IOS/Tablet Applications will be phased out with updates even faster than PC's or Mac's ever were with a lifespan of around 3 years I'd guess.

iPad one is already 2 generations behind the current crop. The Iphone 3gs is 2 generations behind the current and won't run a lot of newer Apps - so think about what that will mean for your iPad 1 when the next iOS update hits. I'd imagine you won't be able to update to the latest IOS or many application that require the extra horsepower (Propellerheads Figure Barely runs properly on the 3Gs for example and not without GUI slowdowns).

Some apps are already dropping Ipad1 support so would be hesitant to buy based on that alone.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would say 2. IMO the 3 doesn't bring enough to the table to benefit the music apps.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

2, the 1 will be kind of slow/limiting for newer apps

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I would say 2. IMO the 3 doesn't bring enough to the table to benefit the music apps.
    QFT. I have a 2 and my mum has a 3, and apart from the pretty screen (which is awesome tbf) it's not much better. Also, there are millions of cases available for the 2 and far fewer for the 3 which is just a shade thicker and doesn't fit a lot of the cases made for the 2.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Get the 2 and live in a zoo with Zim the gnu.

I have a 1 and a 3. I'm really impressed with the 3. I was going to pick forte 64gb for music and movies. Instead, I picked up the 16gb and spent $150 on a Seagate GoFlex. 500gb of wireless storage that can stream music and movies to every iPad or iPhone in the house!

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Based on what most of the responses are and after having looked into it a bit more the 2 does seem to be the best fit. @deevy - the 3 would be ideal but quite over my budget. I've been wanted an iPad ever since TouchOSC, Touchable etc came out and people were doing some crazy stuff with it and was holding on till the "new iPad" in expectation of some significant improvements from the iPad 2, but it seems that will only happen with the iPad 4 and I don't know if I can wait that long lol... They do hold their resale value so I'll just start looking into 2's. Let's see if I can get a good deal now... @djgoodsteve I use an iPod Touch 4G which is 32GB and have around 18GB of apps, many games and music apps are pretty large, so I feel that 64GB would be good (I was also hoping for a 128GB version but with all the iCloud stuff etc. that doesn't seem likely), and if I'm in the house I probably won't be using the iPad for much streaming, I'll look into the GoFlex though!