What makes a good business card?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default What makes a good business card?

I'm thinking of getting business cards soon. What's a good look, should be on it, etc.

Post your business cards too!

White card, name and title, contact info + your logo. Done. Keep it simple and uncluttered, and leave the back blank so people can write on it if they have to.

I disagree.

I have an unique edge-to-edge graphic on the back of each one. They can be bold and still simple and uncluttered.

They should be really thick and high quality.
    Don't mix typefaces at all, and definitely don't mix serif and sans serif.
    http://www.moo.com/share/jffpsf

Just search for things like "top business card designs" and scroll through some of the design blog posts about the subject. You'll find some really clever designs that might inspire you.

Here's mine:
    The front I kept simple with my name logo and a very to the point idea of what I do. The stripes and rock background are from my website design so that there is some consistency between the two.
    The back I mostly just wanted to have the QR code so that it was easy to input my details into a smartphone, then beside is a text version with all the same info that the QR has for quick reference or for people without smartphones.
    business-card-layout.jpg

^really like the barcode idea!
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    I disagree.

I have an unique edge-to-edge graphic on the back of each one. They can be bold and still simple and uncluttered.
    [/url]
    Th idea of leaving the back blank is so people can write notes on them if need to be so they can remember who you are. If you have a stack of 20 business cards they can all turn into a blur, but if you write a note on the back reminding you why you took it they will be more likely to contact you instead of just being lost in the shuffle

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    Th idea of leaving the back blank is so people can write notes on them if need to be so they can remember who you are. If you have a stack of 20 business cards they can all turn into a blur, but if you write a note on the back reminding you why you took it they will be more likely to contact you instead of just being lost in the shuffle
    Or your card can be so original and awesome that they'll remember who you are just by seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Or your card can be so original and awesome that they'll remember who you are just by seeing it.
    Yes!

Also, the picture really is worth a thousand words in this case. I might hand out a card with a DJ-related picture if they're interested in me for that, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    But so is everyone else, so we're still back to the original problem

As some one who's help opened and operated a number of lunges/clubs over the years, and having to deal with business cards trust me on this one. I'll even take Blairs card as an example.

Lets say I'm out for the evening at a lounge/club and am meeting people, socializing and networking. I start exchanging business cards with people and have received a number of cards from a few DJs, graphic designers, promoters and web designers. But I hear Blair playing and am really digging what he's doing and I want to see if he would be interested in playing at my spot.

So I go up and and ask him for his card and add it to the batch. Now, it's the next morning, I have 15 cards from various people, and I also had a couple of drinks so I can't remember specific details about who is who. I come across his card and see that it has Design, Web AND DJ on there. One one was I talking about with him? I have a few cards from designers, and a few from DJ's, but there was a really good DJ playing last night but I can't remember what card was his, so I just add it to the pile and forget about it.

NOW, if I could have written a note on the back saying "Really good, need to book him" I could have emailed him, worked out some details and had him playing that weekend if we was available.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast