What should be my next addition?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default What should be my next addition?

Hello all,

I am a beginner DJ and my setup only consists of a S2, a pair of HDJ500's, and a set of M-Audio speakers. Learning the ropes and just messing around a lot at home for now.

What should be my next addition to accompany my S2...IYO? or have i already went in the wrong direction?

midifighter
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by jbernthold View Post
    I am a beginner DJ ... my setup ... consists of a S2, a pair of HDJ500's, and a set of M-Audio speakers.
    You've got enough stuff for a beginner DJ matey. I reckon you should buy more stuff when:
    (1) you're no longer a beginner
    (2) you've decided for yourself what stuff you need to buy to take it to the next level

You'll need to achieve (1) before you can achieve (2) and you'll only know you've achieved (1) when you achieve (2)!

---

What you'll get here is a load of people telling you what stuff they like. Which is fine, but it may not be the best thing for you.

Here's a counter argument; there are plenty of very skilled and knowledgeable DJs who go out and earn a living with just 2 decks and a mixer with EQs. Not even FX. Your S2 does all of this and more. So with this in mind; have you reached the limits of what you can do?
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 05-01-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

If you don't know what you want and why you want it then you dont need any new gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    If you don't know what you want and why you want it then you dont need any new gear.
    Truth. Don't get so caught up in the toys. Focus more on finding good, original music. THAT'S where youshould be spending the bulk of your money.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    Focus more on finding good, original music. THAT'S where youshould be spending the bulk of your money.
    And expand your musical tastes. Listen to everything and enjoy it all (screw the peer pressure). Your own style will emerge and the toy list will reflect it.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Mentor

Word to what everyone else has said. Spend money on tunes, there's little else you need. If you really feel like you have room to advance, but don't know what gear would be best for you, don't get gear. Business cards maybe? put gas in the car and drive around, cold front some clubs for gigs? spend your resources wisely!

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    /endthread. great reply.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Tech Wizard

pair of technics !

always nice to have a pair of turntables

great headphones btw!

you'll know when the time is right
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast