Problems with Sync on Traktor Pro

Default Problems with Sync on Traktor Pro

Hiya

I would really appreciate any advice on how the sync function works on Traktor Pro. With T3 it was easy, press sync and it locked.. The sync on TP changes the tempo but doesn't lock. Also sometimes the visual looks like it is cut in half, what is that all about? Do I have a corrupted version? To keep sync I have to keep press sync, that can't be right? Also no matter what I do I can't get the sync lights to work properly with my vci 100, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I have had someone who knows stuff look at it and they can't work it out. Of course NI are useless in getting back to me. This is all reallly really annoying. So far my experience with Pro has been really bad and I wouldn't recommend it.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

The sync in traktor pro is set to "hold" by default. Go into the midi options and change it to "toggle" or "direct - on" if you just want it on all the time. The half shaded sync light is the sync start, which means when you start the second deck it will automatically adjust the tempo and start the track on the grid. I don't use that i find it annoying actually. You want your lights to flash in time? One of the VCI-philes can help you with that
    Last edited by Jester; 05-15-2009 at 08:30 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Default sync problems

Many thanks for your reply. The difficulty that I have is that in T3 using the midi files provided you press sync it holds that is it take the button off it releases it. Can't seem to get that with Pro, the standard file is crap. Have spent loads of time and money still cant get it to work properly. fHow do I achieve the above, i.e press sync and it will hold, release it and it doesn't. Also How do I turn off the sync start? Really appreciate your advice.

If you find the midi mapping section under the options, then find the entry for sync you'll be with me. With most of the buttons there are 4 options in the interaction mode (Hold/Direct/Toggle/Output). In your case i would suggest setting it to "Toggle" because if you set it to "Direct-On" you will be stuck with it unless you set a modifier for it. Toggle would mean you press the button once to set the sync, and press it again to cancel it. Its a good way to learn how to map as well its how i learned actually.
    Now with the sync start, i don't even use sync now but i'll try to explain it
    The first deck thats playing should always be the master and obviously all other decks will be slaves. When you first start playing you can press sync on both decks, which activates the sync start. If done right, all the tracks you play will sync start.
    Its a pain in the ass, took me ages to figure it out when i upgraded, i'd say just make sure when you start playing that the sync lights are dead on all decks you should be ok. Also try changing the deck master to "manual" under the ticker option.
    Last edited by Jester; 05-16-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Default Sync problems

Many Thanks for the continuing advice.

I still can't get the sync lights to work properly on the vc1 100, my settings are Sync deck a toggle and deck a output and the same for deck b. occasionally they come on, mostly they don't. Should I maybe only have decks listed once and only toggle?

Any suggestions as it is really annoying.

Cheers

Right, the beat phase monitor actually goes off the grid lines, not the down beat, so its a matter of adjusting the controller range under the led options. Try -1 to 1 for a start if that doesn't work go -.5 to .5. With a bit of tweaking those lights will flash pretty much on time.

So to follow you my settings as follows; in Sync function, deck A toggle and deck A output and the same for deck b. These are correct? And to get the lights to work I change the settings for the output at the moment I have it set as min 0 max 1. This should be -1 to 1 or -.5 to .5? Is there anything I have to do for it to take those parameters in the past when I have tried to enter anything other than 0 and 1 it reverted back to 0 and 1.

The other odd thing that is happening is the track isn'nt staying in sync I keep having to press the sync button, which then brings it back to sync. The tempo changes to match the previous tractk correctly but that is about it.

Thanks for the continuing tuiton, you should publish mapping instructions as I can't seem to find any other info on this? Would be more than happy to pay for these. Cheers.

Set the beat phase monitor output to PLAY on the deck you wish to use it on and assign it to the button you want to flash, in your case i guess the sync button. You can set the beat phase monitor for a deck to any button that has an LED on it as far as i know, In my case its the play/pause button. You could actually make one whole side flash if you wanted. Its the settings that you will have to experiment with. Not an important function though, in my opinion.
    Now with the sync, first off make sure your tracks are beat-gridded correctly. The sync won't work unless the grids are pretty much lined up throughout the tracks. This is easy to spot just scroll through the song and check the grid lines.
    If the track is a bit off sometimes its just a matter of deleting the autogrid marker which will get put in cue point 1 by default, and setting a cue point right on the first beat. Tracks that have a drifting tempo are a pain in the ass you may have to ask the ableton lads about "warping". In my experience you cant just assume that traktor will grid a track correctly for you. Basically as long as thats alll in order there is no reason that you cant use the sync button as you want to. If you need help with grids etc though there are some guys in here much more qualified to show you that. Also with the sync if the opposite deck is not the master deck then pressing it won't do squat. Cheers
    Last edited by Jester; 05-18-2009 at 04:09 AM.