My First Set Up - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Set Up

Thanks mate. Appreciate your thoughts.

TYVM. I take your point. X1 is well worth more thought.

lol I get you on the Traktor control with a mouse/keyboard issue! Very quickly very frustrating! Funny but everything I read about the DDJ vs S4 talks about feel. From what I can gather the S4 is a much more sturdy lump of kit. The all-in-one is look favourite on space, cost and set up at the moment! Good points on expansion too. Didn't have much of an idea what else could easily be bolted on.

What's the score with 'separate soundcards' then?

TYVM

Good points, thank you

I feel very comfortable so far with the on-board mixing. Wouldn't necessarily know why I'd look to do it 'externally' at this stage. Got around £600 to let go of. Big fear is that I'd launch in and then catch the same syndrome! I have an issue with buying cheap gear per se. By and large you get what you pay for and I tend to opt and pay for robustness where possible. I'd also like to be a self-contained as possible moving forward but just want to make sure I don't waste any large sums in the first place by taking the wrong route to kick off and ending up with obsolete kit.

Thanks for all the pointers. Really helpful stuff.

Tech Convert

Hi
    I have gone from
    1: two turn tables and a mixer
    2. 2 cdjs and a mixer
    3. m-audio xponent
    4. NI S4
    5. Pioneer DDJ-T1
    6. Pioneer DDJ-T1 + Midi Fighter3d (Ordered the 3d last night)

I honestly have to say that my favorite is the DDJ-T1. The layout is nice and clean. Yes it is plastic, but if you use a flight case when transporting it, you won't run into any issues. If you get a 3 year extended warranty, like from Guitar Center, if anything does happen to it, ya send it in and get it fixed or replaced with a GC gift card for the original price plus tax from the day you bought it. Use that gift card to get whatever new gadget has caught your eye.
    When in a club its great to just bring in the T1 and laptop. I sometimes spin with a friend of mine and the booth that normally holds 2 turn tables and a mixer (in cases) can fit both of our rigs (my T1 and the VCI 400 he is buying off of me lol) side by side. I set up in 7 min and tear down in 5. I scratch a little bit and the T1 has the best feel for it out of the controllers that I have used. I know the S4 is waaayyyyy more precise in regards to the jog wheel but on a 4" platter its pretty difficult to scratch very accurately. (at least for me).
    I can't wait for my 3d to arrive to see how the 2 run together. I get the feeling that I am going to become a traktor mapper once I get the 3d and can experiment with it.
    Big ups for controllers! I always have a back up though... Just in case something goes wrong with my laptop or controller I always have some other form of music, such as my iPhone that I have a grip of music and mixes on, that i can plug into the sound system and keep the music going.
    You can just do soooo much more with controllers and software than with anything else.

Just my thoughts
    DJ Ceasare
    chez@MoreThanADJ.me
    facebook.com/djceasare * facebook.com/iamceasare * soundcloud.com/iamceasare

Pioneer DDJ-T1, Macbook unibody 13", Midi Fighter3d, Traktor Pro 2.

I like modular setups. I change things around all the time, and I would rather use a mixer than an all-in-one.

If you want to mix internally check out the k2 or go for the s2. plenty of money left over for a nice set of cans and monitors that will start you off well with plenty of options to add on.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

You know, and I know this might be the common thought process on the board, but going for a more traditional setup and using modular controllers is another very solid option. It's a bit more expensive, but there are a lot of key factors to involve as well.

If you get CDJ's or TT's (either or really, both are generally installed in clubs although CDJ's are more prevalent these days in smaller venues) you won't have to bring them with you. They will be at the place you will be spinning, unless it's a mobile gig or house party where you'd need to bring a whole setup anyhow.

There IS a stigma for certain promoters about hiring guys with controllers. Albeit it's fading, but a lot of booths don't have the space to setup a large thing like the DDJ-T1. So it's something to keep in mind. It really shouldn't be a deciding factor, use what you will, but it's something I see a lot of people running into once they are very familiar with the equipment they've invested in, and then ask about it later.

If you take a look, a hard look, at the DDJ-T1, it's basically two CDJ-400's and a mixer connected together. I'd honestly say, find two CDJ-400's and a mixer, and use that instead with an external audio interface. It would also leave room so if you wanted to add an X1 or other additional controllers, you'd be able to as well. Also, as the mixer is a really important part of a setup, it's nice being able to switch that out or upgrade it if you want to. And honestly, resale values on CDJ's and TT's are MUCH higher if you ever want to change things up.

I can't say enough how much just messing with the spinning vinyl on turntables is just... magic. It's something you can't get from any other medium, and I personally still love finding deals on good records and being able to play those as well.

If you want a controller, and you're interested in vinyl with traktor, then the S4 with the scratch upgrade is a really solid option as well.

Really, it's a tough choice what to decide to get for yourself. Personally I believe in using CDJ's and TT's because those are what are installed in the clubs, and that's where I eventually want to be playing. Having versatility is key though.

Through financial issues and whatnot, it took me much longer to initially get my setup. But I personally decided with two 1200's, a decent mixer, and Serato. And haven't looked back. I now have added dicers and an MPKmini for additional controls, but that's part of finding your niche.

Whatever you choose make sure you're going to be happy with that choice for a long time. Because honestly, it's not a cheap investment
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

If you like tumbling around on the second-hand market I would recommend getting CDJs. (like mentionen earlier, resale value is high).
    My story of equipment goes like this;
    First off
    Numark OmniControl. Not to bad for the money.
    Kontrol S4 when it was launched, sold a couple months later.
    in favor of cdj 100+djm300
    but that was meh so i sold and got
    cdj 1000mk3 with djm 400 (had for a while and really enjoyed mixing on them)
    But wanted rekordbox compabilty so i bought
    cdj 850's and upgraded to djm 800 built a custom bench for them and used for a few gigs
    got the s2 and a midifighter when it was firesale here on techtools
    Got a nice offer for the 850+800 set so i sold it.
    After a month i realized i missed the cdjs,
    got a bargain deal on 2 cdj 2000, bought them, also got a djm 350 mixer.
    used for 2 weeks and then i sold them again because i know value will drop when the new model comes.

Note: I bought all cdjs and mixers second hand. And I earned money on all of them.

Now i only have kontrol s2 and midifighter left and for now i wont get cdjs until i move to a bigger apartment.
    My point is, i think it was worth having all cdjs, got to try them out, feel and learn them and re-sell for even more than what i bought them for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast