My First Set Up
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Set Up

Default My First Set Up

Hi All.

I've been on Macs for years as a designer, been listening to sets and mixes for most of my life live and recorded. Recently started picking up Trakor and loving it. Really starting to get to grips with it.

So...about to launch into hardwaare and finding it a minefield. Should I go down the route of a single control unit - S4 versus DDJ T1??? Or should I be looking to set up in another way with individual components? Would love to know the pros and cons of the various options. I don't reckon I'll be filling floors at WMC next year but I don't want to rule out live appearances! Clearly, I've seen all sorts of different set ups in clubs all over, been scouting around online for a ghood while and I'm now feeling a bit queezy about where to start spending money.

I reckon I'm clear on the NI vs Pioneer vs Numark vs Vestax etc single unit question as there's plenty of lucid discussion about that out there. It's the single unit vs separates (or maybe single 'plus' separates??) I'm keen to understand.

Your views on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks to you all.

;•)

Personally i prefer a modular set up because i can taylor it to my style of playing and if something does not gel with me or breaks it's not such a big issue to replace it with something new. also i can just take what i need to gigs.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Oh and welcome to djtt

It's really a personal thing. I like all-in-one units (well, maybe separate soundcards) for their simple ease. Plug unit to amp/speakers, plug to laptop, open Itch, press play, rock out I do house parties so it's about size and ease.

But Zimfella's idea about separates makes a lot of sense too, it's just a preference (but I fooled around on a Xone 62 the other day and I GET it!). The only difference is cost, space and set-up time (separates is more on all three).

Welcome to Traktor too. But your never going to get the full experience until you use it with a controller, the mouse is NOT a DJ tool (LOL). I have yet to use a DDJ unit but I did not like the feel of it in the store (gravitated quickly to the 62 but also liked the S2/S4 "feel"). And with a S2/S4 it is really easy to "expand": MidiFighter, X1, F1, ahh the list goes on...
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

In some cases, the type of music you play will lend itself to a basic setup (i.e. House music = 2 decks (L&R) and a mixer (in the middle) with a few effects... this being the most basic and adaptable to numerous styles) (this is not word of god... it's just the lowest common denominator..be it modular or all-in-one)

If you have access to some setups (friends or otherwise), I'd spend some time there first.

The number of options available to you are staggering compared days of old when you basically had to conform to the 12's and a mixer setup.

Now you can configure your setup to fit your style like a glove. This may be a costly exercise unless you test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by zimfella View Post
    Oh and welcome to djtt
    Thank you!!! Wicked site.

And your previous post makes total sense.

So if it's a modular route, what's the best foot forward in your opinion? Am I going to be able to get all the functionality of the S4 for the same money? If it's a case of Deck A • Mixer • Deck B >>> Laptop then what kind of units would I look to track down?

TYVM

;•)

I think there can be a compromise between controller and modular. I got a cheap Vestax Spin, that is mapped to four channels and a midi-fighter as my first rig. Sure I want to upgrade to an S4, but I figure I will probably drag the midi-fighter around for years, it is extremely versatile. I think there is some merit to getting a cheap all in one controller and banging it out in your bedroom with it for a year or so to see if you enjoy djing, before taking a huge plunge into spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbreeze View Post
    Thank you!!! Wicked site.

And your previous post makes total sense.

So if it's a modular route, what's the best foot forward in your opinion? Am I going to be able to get all the functionality of the S4 for the same money? If it's a case of Deck A • Mixer • Deck B >>> Laptop then what kind of units would I look to track down?

TYVM

;•)
    I'd honestly say that for total adaptability in most booths and set-ups, nothing beats a Kontrol X1. honestly, i wish from day 1 that I had used a X1 with a mixer, and an external soundcard. I've added turntables to my setup, but i could totally just go into basically any club booth, plug in an X1 and my soundcard and rock out. No hassle with 'will my controller fit' etc, because you just move the CDJ or TT about 6 inches over and whack it in!

Rdale has a point. i started with an all in one cheap controller. that lasted about a year before i got "rapid gear aqquisition syndrome" watch out for that.

On the other note it also comes down to personal taste. You need to decide on weather you want to mix externally with a mixer or use traktors internal mixer. Both have advantages and disadvantages. To me the mixer is the heart of the setup. build the rest around that.
    If you decide to kix internally go for an all in one unit or the k2 would be good aswell for that.

What sort of budget you on?

cheap modular stuff check out djtech modular units. I used them and they do work.

others
    denon do the dns2000
    Reloop contours
    NI x1
    Beringher are bringing out some soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    I'd honestly say that for total adaptability in most booths and set-ups, nothing beats a Kontrol X1. honestly, i wish from day 1 that I had used a X1 with a mixer, and an external soundcard. I've added turntables to my setup, but i could totally just go into basically any club booth, plug in an X1 and my soundcard and rock out. No hassle with 'will my controller fit' etc, because you just move the CDJ or TT about 6 inches over and whack it in!
    +1 on the x1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast