The Bridge vs Syncing Traktor with Ableton - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I just switch with ALT + TAB between them. Mostly I'm at the Traktor screen and once in a while I'm in the Ableton screen looking for my FX parameters (I use the Kontrol X1 with a userconfig.txt; I can control different FX racks (8 parameters) with my X1 knobs).
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by JDFS View Post
    I just switch with ALT + TAB between them. Mostly I'm at the Traktor screen and once in a while I'm in the Ableton screen looking for my FX parameters (I use the Kontrol X1 with a userconfig.txt; I can control different FX racks (8 parameters) with my X1 knobs).
    What's user config? How can you map MIDI controllers in Ableton?

Lots of tutorial on Youtube.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BomBin View Post
    What's user config?
    A simplified version of MIDI remote scripting. It's one method for mapping controllers in Live.

How can you map MIDI controllers in Ableton?
    I realize most people don't know about MIDI remote scripting, but if you're asking that……uhh……don't you think you should probably figure out if/how you want to use live before you worry about what products get closer to some unknown goal?

Tech Wizard

This is a question that cannot fully be answered yet because the second rendition of "the Bridge" (the release for ITCH), has not been released yet (and oh boy do I wish it was). So noting this, I will attempt to address most of what you asked here.

Ableton Suite (the version you really want because it comes with a lot of instruments) has Max for Live which means there are a lot of intricate things you can do in Ableton that you simply cannot do with the Sample Decks in Traktor Pro. Even if you don't use Max for Live, one of the biggest selling points about Ableton is the ability to use VST plug-ins... there is no comparison in Traktor because Traktor is a closed loop that doesn't even like to work with Maschine, even though Traktor has some really neat effects. Sure, you can output sounds TO Ableton and process them there... but that's not internal and you certainly cannot non-destructively edit them later. If you use "the Bridge" everything is in one window (in your Serato Scratch Live interface). You can resolve this issue for Traktor by getting another monitor and setting the interface for Ableton there, but now you're starting to carry more gear and you're either using up one of your USB ports (think Powered USB hub at this point) or lugging around another VGA monitor... set up shop much? I can't say enough about how poorly MIDI Time-code is for synching two programs... It's a heartache and a pain in the butt... you almost get it right and then two machines fall out of sync. I don't see how Traktor with Ableton can be better than a system designed to work together (Serato Scratch and Ableton), but that's someone's opinion and they're certainly entitled to it.

When you launch both Ableton and Scratch Live, the screen on Scratch Live changes... to include the Ableton (Live/Suite) interface. I'm not sure why someone is having routing problems with their version of "the Bridge", but all routing should be integrated in Scratch Live through the interface... it's as if you opened up Ableton inside of Scratch Live. ALSO, When you record in Scratch Live (with Ableton) you can non-destructively edit your mix (you can move tracks and transitions, make a different loop happen and/or add or take away effects) as though it were a working file in Ableton from the get-go... so YES, I think Synching works better because the programs are integrated. One important thing to remember about Ableton is that it is a FULL D.A.W., which means you can create and play back MIDI files and even play live music through the application IN REAL TIME... you can't do that with Traktor on it's own AT ALL. There is some issue with scratching decks in "the Bridge" however quite a few people have resolved this problem by using the Max for Live plug-in "Ms. Pinky's" (yeah, it's a funny name) and with that, you CAN scratch anything you want. Ableton is VERY flexible and you can map almost anything with the very easy to use "MIDI Map Function", but it doesn't have the sexy "Visual Wave Forms" for your music tracks (yet) and it's not really easy to control the BPM from one deck to another... Ableton just isn't set up for DJing in the same way Traktor or Scratch Live/ ITCH is (yet), but I don't doubt someone will attempt to make a Max for Live Plugin that will do this soon.

Regarding the Launchpad... (oh boy, how do I really approach this)
    You know how you can assign things to buttons in Traktor? Think of the Launchpad as a REAL TIME button assigning extravaganza in Ableton. You don't have a lot of feedback "what a button represents", you make those options available by assigning them to buttons and then you have to remember what each one does (or you try it out and see). One upside to the Launchpad is that it has 2 LEDs that control the color of the buttons so (more or less) you have at least 5 states: Off, Red, Orange/Yellow and Green and Blinky (on-off-on-off... never tried to see if it can blink two different colors)... you really have to USE any controller with Ableton to understand for yourself how things work. If you're going to use Ableton, I strongly recommend picking up a dedicated Ableton Controller (like the Launchpad, APC 20/40 or a really fancy Keyboard like the ReMOTE SL series or AKAI MPK series) but MAKE SURE you get controls for the knobs and sliders as well because you WILL want to use them) the buttons don't just mimic the functionality of Ableton, they ARE the functionality of Ableton (including feedback regarding the location where your triggers are in application on the Launchpad itself where which clips are available when you scroll up/down your clip window).

Truthfully speaking, even when Native Instruments implements all of the functionality of their products into Traktor, "the Bridge" will still be better because it's designed to be flexible and meet all of your needs even if is rather heavy on your system resources.
    Last edited by Cusp; 05-08-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: changed Studio to Suite (my error)

Excellent post^^ One thing though I think is incorrect; There is no Ableton Studio but Ableton Suite is what I think you're talking about; it does not to my knowledge come with Max4Live. Unfortunately the latter is a bit pricy still. But thanks for all the details; this has me considering taking another look at Serato.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

This thread has got me so pumped for my Livid OhmRGB slim and Ableton. Looking forward to new challenges!

Tech Wizard

djproben: you are correct on both counts. Ableton Suite is the name of the full-fledged Ableton line, (I changed my post to reflect this)... I think (as I recall anyway) Ableton Suite came with a Max4Live... at least as a separate download. I got it when I picked up Ableton Suite (hoping that the Bridge would be released for ITCH soon). I don't think there was an extra charge for it.
    Last edited by Cusp; 05-08-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Also, for TP2 + Ableton users -
    how do you work with both programs if you only see one of them on the screen? I mean, let's say you have Launchpad + S2, you mix with the S2 so you see Traktor on the screen. How do you work with the Launchpad without seeing Ableton?
    i'm routing mixxx or traktor into ableton, mapping mixer controls to the levels+eq in ableton, so no real need to actually look at the ableton gui. same goes for any other effects and clips buttons u have mapped - just make sure you have decent led feedback so u never need to look at the gui. ofc sometimes it just feels 'safer' to look at the interface so i'm just switching between them when i need to, each app maximised on it's own desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalTiger View Post
    One upside to the Launchpad is that it has 2 LEDs that control the color of the buttons so (more or less) you have at least 5 states: Off, Red, Orange/Yellow and Green and Blinky (on-off-on-off... never tried to see if it can blink two different colors)...
    u have three different intensities per led as well as 'off' so have a bunch of different colour combos. blinking two diff colours is a bit of a nightmare and def not possible via simple midi mapping. you'd need to send a message to disable flashing in the launchapd, send a message to set the first colour, then flip the launchpad buffer by sending another message, send the 2nd colour to the same pad without the copy bit set and then a message to re-enable flashing. possible tho
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

Great post DigitalTiger. Unfortunately Max for Live is currently a paid download on top of Ableton Live, but well worth it if your are into customization. Also unfortunate is that there are no Max for Live plug-ins designed to be used with The Bridge. I recently contacted Serato about developing one but so far the response hasn't been what I expected. I'll contact Ableton about it soon though, hopefully they will be more helpful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast