copyright help

Thread: copyright help

Tech Wizard

Default copyright help

sup guys so here the situation. two of my singers did some vocal for a remix i did for the beatport chriss vogt contest ()
    she asked me after i posted it on beatport if she would have copy right to the remix since she used her own lyrics. she is the first singer in the track.

any help would be nice guys thanks
    Last edited by padi_04; 05-04-2012 at 02:30 AM.

if the lyrics are her own original work then she should own copyright over them and their use afaik - not to the whole remix i guess.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

You'd have to read the fine print of the contest rules but I'm guessing since it's a remix of an existing artists track that they or beatport would own the rights to any submissions.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

did you make any payment to them or form a contract? If not its such a sticky legal area as the agreement is your worr against theres. Id just talk to them and say look guys we did this session on colaberation of ideas I think we should sign a contract to split and profits n equal 3 ways.

Or you could say that you making them a drink was there payment for studio time and you own the copyright to there work.

much simpler with photography as afaik the photographer always owns the copyright. still need to get a model release tho from any models actually in the photos. so maybe similar - ish - or not
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

If you summited the remix i'm afraid you've lost all rights over it (that's the way beatport contests work), even if you do win or not.