Recently got Etymotic ER-20 Earplugs.. Only 12db?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recently got Etymotic ER-20 Earplugs.. Only 12db?

So i received my Etymotic ER-20 earplugs in the mail today and tested them out, and the packaging states 12db reduction rather than the 20db advertised, and when their in (I haven't tried them at exorbent volumes - will try when gigging tomorrow night), they didn't seem to do TOO much.

Anyway, i'm attending a festival next week with Adrian Lux and Digitalism and i am really excited, but i'm worried that this 12db still wont be enough to prevent massive damage to my ears, since i've already got chronic Tinnitus.

But yeah. Thoughts / Ideas / Experiences?

Cheers
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Do they have changeable filters? The ones I wear from hearingprotection.co.uk come with different filters I change up depending on the show; 5db, 15db, 25db.

It's safe to say the 25 ones sound like someone wrapping a sleeping bag around your head.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

As a fellow tinnitus-sufferer, I can tell you that 12db is by far not enough to protect your ears at a large party/festival. I tried with plugs reducing like 17db, and still my tinnitus got worse after some parties. You should be looking for AT LEAST 20db reduction.
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

hey

yeah if you wanna hear the music as clear as possible, the best option is custom moulded ACS Pro-17, the flattest frequency response i'm aware of (meaning they reduce all frequencies as equity as possible and keep the music sounding the way it should). They are a pretty penny at around £120-140 including the moulding process, but when I work as a sound engineer with live bands i absolutely need to hear the music the way it sounds to everyone else, while still protecting myself, so needed to invest. These are -17db and the minimum I would use.

Outside of that, when I don't need to hear as critically, I use either the same companies ER-20 (looks to be the same as yours only re branded) which they claim are -16db for quieter things or Alpine MusicSafe Pro with the highest filter if its especially loud.

k

Btw on an informational note, which are the best ones to buy if you are in a budget for med volumes?
    Dj , computer science student and overall technology enthusiast.

anyone have any experience with the Hearo Pearls? it says 20db reduction
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

my ER20's certainly seemed like 20db the ones I have now are 15db and let noticeably more sound in. I don't get tinitus if I wear my 15db ones, and I do if I don't wear anything. Remember that db is a exponential scale so each db doubles the amount of noise cut out (I think)

@Melkon for variable filters my alpine ear plugs cost me £25 and er20/acs20 cost me about 7 quid. The alpine ones are smaller and fit in my ears better (also you get three for when you lose one). Any where between 15 and 20db is probably what your looking for.

edit: (again) both ear plugs are great musically
    Last edited by psykx; 05-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.

I grabbed these (Alpine MusicSafe Classic Ear Plugs):

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGsQ8wIwAA

Interchangeable 15/25 db filter, relatively flat attenuation, and you can still hear the music pretty well. When you first put them on it'll sound slightly muffled but you adjust and end up forgetting you have them in. They're comfortable, come with a carrying case, and are relatively low profile. Having used the 15 db and the 25 db in clubs, I now standardly use the 25 db filter. 15 db is just not enough cut for how loud these systems get turned up.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbro View Post
    the packaging states 12db reduction rather than the 20db advertised
    They don't advertise 20dB reduction…it's just a part number.

I use some Hearos that I got at Guitar Center for <$20 and think they're a godsend. Still haven't managed to get around to having molds made.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    Do they have changeable filters? The ones I wear from hearingprotection.co.uk come with different filters I change up depending on the show; 5db, 15db, 25db.

It's safe to say the 25 ones sound like someone wrapping a sleeping bag around your head.
    I got the Alpine Music Safe Classics which has 2 filters of 15dB and 20dB but I tried them during a few big parties with loud systems, and venues like Space Terrace in Miami but the sound was two muffled with those filters, it felt really quiet and you couldn't tell much of a difference between a drop or a breakdown. So I think maybe 5 or 10db filters would work, but I wanted to know which ones I can get that have that... Which ones did you get The Mighty FV?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast