Mixing Hip Hop songs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mixing Hip Hop songs.

so i have a gig on sunday and they want mostly hiphop/top 40 stuff and i feel like im either doing the hip hop slam, the endzone or roll out/brake echo effects to transitions. is this normal???

im not the best at beatmatching at the moment but im ok still learning with it but it feels like im repeating a lot lol

If you are already accepting gigs, you should have a fundamental understanding of mixing by now, no?

Tech Mentor

Different genre and hip hop is weird if you don't normally play it

What's a different genre?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    If you are already accepting gigs, you should have a fundamental understanding of mixing by now, no?
    this is true never thought about it like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Fressure View Post
    Different genre and hip hop is weird if you don't normally play it
    well i like all kinds of music but i really never mixed hip hop and it seems to me all repetitive. but its really effective though i can see how other djs does it on the radio. quick and they cut to the chase! but the thing is that they sometimes only spend a min or so on a song unless its really hype which means i need a lot more music then what i got now.

Tech Mentor

Hip hop and R&B is all about beatmatching, or at the very basic level scratch and cut to the next track.

The real key to mixing hip-hop is knowledge in the genre, knowing the samples that were lifted, which then you go do a split off into the original song, or build loops out of the original and mesh together a new beat to cut over too.

Also not every transition between songs needs an effect. Smooth transitions with a quick drop off at the end can make the mix seamless.
    DJ Lou Paris

Quote Originally Posted by ParisCreative View Post
    Hip hop and R&B is all about beatmatching, or at the very basic level scratch and cut to the next track.

The real key to mixing hip-hop is knowledge in the genre, knowing the samples that were lifted, which then you go do a split off into the original song, or build loops out of the original and mesh together a new beat to cut over too.

Also not every transition between songs needs an effect. Smooth transitions with a quick drop off at the end can make the mix seamless.
    im at the basic scratch and cut to the next track level lol. i dont do effects every song. i mix or do a set transtion for each song

So you accepted a gig where you know what kind of music they are expecting, and you don't even have the music?

best thing is for you to start collecting 32 beat hip hop extensions. basically with hip hop your going to be mixing at the beginning of the chorus and killing the other track at the end of the chorus.

if your looking for extensions. try the remix services like ultimix.com xmix.com.

I usually extend my own music.

There is also alot of hip hop djs who are better at just cutting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast