So why exactly are Beats by Dre so derided in our community?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default So why exactly are Beats by Dre so derided in our community?

I recently won a pair of Beats Pro through a DJ contest and was curious as to how they actually sounded, given the massive amount of criticism I have seen on DJ forums.

The main issue I had with them was that they felt incredibly bulky compared to my TMA-1's. The Beats are heavier, but much more snug around the ears than the TMA-1's are on the ears. The seal is pretty impressive. I, however, was not a fan of this, as I could easily imagine it becoming sweaty and gross inside the beats fairly quickly given a party environment. TMA-1's definitely win in terms of comfort and not-being-gross-when-it-gets-sweaty category.

The bass in the Beats is pretty booming, but is that necessarily a bad thing? I personally prefer to have more distinct mids (and so I prefer the TMA-1's).

However, the beats sounded... not that bad. I understand that they are super-overpriced (MSRP $400 for the pair that I won), but the quality seemed pretty decent.

So, why do haters hate so much on the beats?

EDIT: Dear future readers, this is the gist of what everyone thinks. And this is about the Beats Pro, not the studio ones or any other other iterations of Beats.

Pros:
    -look cool (to some people)
    -good for listening to music if you like to hear lots of bass
    -Is sturdy, feels quality
    -Very good isolation
    -laymen will possibly think you are more legitimate as a DJ due to marketing

Cons:
    -look idiotic (to some people)
    -bad for djing - these headphones have almost as super bass as Nicki Minaj's proverbial boytoy. The mids and highs get somewhat drowned out.
    -Is heavy, unwieldy, and large. Those with short necks will look like they are wearing a cervical collar.
    -The pads are large, and stick to the head well. This can get slippery/gross when you start sweating a lot in the middle of a long set.
    -overpriced for what you get.
    -The company that makes them has questionable business practices
    -Has sharp edges when the band is expanded (which you have to do unless you have a tiny head)
    -Customer service (in UK) is bad
    -Internet "DJ's" will say you must be a terrible DJ because of your choice of headphones
    Last edited by dayvue; 05-03-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Update

Tech Mentor

To be honest i dont mind them i had a pair for a while and thought they were quite good, the best isolating headphones i have used, but my senns sound a hell of alot clearer now

The main reason people hate is because they are overpriced and state they are super clear the way music was meant to sound when in fact they are not as they are super bassy (is that a word)
    2 x Technics 1200 mk2 | Xone 22 | Torq 2.0 | Akai LPD8 | Sennheiser HD25-1 mk2 Adidas | KRK RP6 G2 | that is all

because its all hype and marketing to get people to pay for overpriced heavy bass headphones.

My opinions are:

They are bulky, the bass drowns out other sounds that i want to hear. Yes they are pretty isolated but as soon as i moved my head the isolation seal would break so to speak.. I didn't like that i couldn't move them around my head quickly due to the size and weight.

They got quite uncomfortable for a bit and generally over priced for what they are! Give me my Sennheiser HD25's and change from the cash back any day! And i also think the Sennheiser's look better.

From where i'm from people who own beats are just a load of 'look at me' kids.

because 80% of the people thinks that there isn't something better and cause there way overpriced

Quote Originally Posted by Liambo View Post
    From where i'm from people who own beats are just a load of 'look at me' kids.
    same here bro
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Guru

It actually makes me a tad angry at how often i have to tell people not to buy beats.

The reason i hate them isn't just the fact they are showy and sound meh at best, it's the fact their pricing isn't just ridiculous it's another part of their marketing ploy.

Also ive heard horror stories about their customer service (or complete lack of uk based customer service), for that price i want somebody to come polish them for me daily.

Tech Mentor

they are a fashion accessory

Tech Mentor

Because why should you pay $500 for something, when you could get something just as good for $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    screw that counterclockwise shit. I keep my turntables stationary and rotate the rest of the universe around them.
    Yeah, I heard one song. It's called Skrillex...

i like my beats by dre... and as they were a gift, i cant cant complain about the price (free is free) and granted they are a lil uncomfy at times and i have to make sure i have extra batteries in my bag, and they dont fit in my bag too well so i have their lil case clipped to my bag...i dont really mind em and cant really fault them all too much

people who wear beats are posers, who have no idea about sound quality.
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast