I found a great backpack today

Default I found a great backpack today

Found a great backpack today
    At Fry's Electronics today I was looking for a laptop case. Of course in the back of my mind I was thinking I should just spend the money & buy a specialized DJ backpack. In the aisle where the cases were I was trying to find one that fit my minimum needs:

Laptop, power supply, NI Audio 8 DJ, cables.

I didn't want it to be to heavy & was hoping it would be small enough to tuck under my arm while carrying other stuff. The best I could find was the Kenneth Cole Reaction. At $70 it was more than I wanted to spend on that kind of thing. It was nice & even air travel friendly but not what I had in mind.

Then I turned around. A wall of backpacks, laptop backpacks, hmmm. Not thinking I would find anything I started looking through them. I found the Targus 17" CityGear Laptop Backpack. It was reasonably light and it had 5 or 6 compartments. The largest was the padded laptop compartment. It had tons of smoothly operating zippers. It was also $70. I decided to try it.

I got it home and started loading it up.
    Audio 8 DJ
    M Audio X Session Pro
    Traktor Kontrol X1
    Maschine
    17" MacBook Pro with power supply
    All needed cables plus USB hub & power supply.

All of this went into it with ease. I tried to add my old original Novation Remote 25 but it was about 3/4 of an inch too long for the zipper to close. Otherwise it wouldn't have been a problem.

I used small hand towels and some pick & pluck foam to pad around knobs & faders where needed.
    It should easily handle the addition of the F1 right next to the X1.

I am astounded! I never thought I would find a backpack that could handle this kind of a load.
    Yes, when loaded it's a bit too heavy too carry any distance by the comfy handle at the top.
    But when using the backpack straps it's easy & comfortable.

It won't be waterproof. Is any backpack? It may be water resistant.

After reading reviews online I'm convinced it will be durable.

http://reviews.targus.com/8826/TCG21...ws/reviews.htm

I think it's so great I may buy a 2nd one to use for other stuff
    Last edited by mitch minimal; 05-07-2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: wanted to add tags
    mitch minimal - 17" MacBook Pro 2.5GHz quad-core i7, 4GB RAM, 750GB 7200-rpm, Dual boot OS 10.6.8 & 10.7.3, TSP 1.2.4 & 2.1.2, N.I. Audio 8DJ, Kontrol X1, M-Audio X-Session Pro, Logic 9, Maschine, Ableton Live 8, Kore, Komplete + various plugs

Tech Guru

I picked up the rolling version of that bag http://reviews.targus.com/8826/TCG71...ws/reviews.htm

It will hold:

S2
    14" laptop
    Crane Stand
    Headphones, Audio 2, cables, power supplies, external 3.5" hard drive, etc.
    CD case (car visor style...holds 10 CDs)
    Misc stuff...cell phone, wallet, couple of books, etc.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39