Finding the right mixing board

Default Finding the right mixing board

I'm looking for a mixing board which will have hooked up:
    1. Digital DJ setup (audiofire 4)
    2. Another DJ (ie. DJing an event with a friend) OR a backup audio source like an ipod in case of a software crash
    3. A microphone

I'm looking to spend about $100-200 unless it is worthwhile to pay more for a boost in product quality.

I tend to come in on the quiet end at gigs so I also would like a mixing board with nice pre-amps - my setup right now: vci100, traktor pro, audiofire 4, laptop.

I am currently considering:

1. Peavy PV 6: http://www.peavey.com/products/brows.../PV(R)%206.cfm

2. Mackie 802vlz3: http://www.mackie.com/products/802vlz3/

3. Behringer 1002: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/1002.aspx

What do you think? If you know a better solution/product please let me know.

Thanks

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...ducts_id=12066

i've been looking into getting a mixer recently as well, and this is looking like the perfect fit for my needs. it's got the djing area covered, but also would be really awesome for production. it's a little more pricey, but with a usb 2.0 and some effects onboard, i think it's worth it.

http://www.gigasonic.com/Behringer-XENYX-1622FX.html

more at your price point, but the main disadvantage is the size of this sucker. i like the fact that this one has sliders instead of all knobs, and it's got a boatload of effects. it's pretty much a production/recording-heavy mixer, but would be sweet for djing too, if you feel like lugging it around.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I would opt for Mackie.

Just some experience with the buildquality of other Mackie ranges that did it for me!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

this is what I use ->http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail...ckCode=ST00712 has all the inputs you describe & more! tapco is mackies 'budget' brand.

also yamaha & soundcraft might b worth a look.
    VAIO - T3/PRO - VCI 100 - AK1 - DJM-400

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm going to buy this Mackie: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/402VLZ3/ to use for the following reasons:

1. Digital DJ setup (audiofire 4)
    2. Another DJ (ie. DJing an event with a friend) OR a backup audio source like an ipod in case of a software crash
    3. A microphone
    4. Loud preamps

If I'm off for some reason (forever a noob) please let me know!

Thanks again
    Caesar

Tech Wizard

I'm confused why you wouldn't use a more traditional DJ style mixer. If you are going to be DJing with a friend who uses TT's then the mixers you're looking at won't work at all. TT's require phono preamp's due to the low output voltage. The mixer you are looking at only has 4 mono inputs, and is usally used in production work or small live music type settings. I would recommend a 4 channel club mixer like the Denon DNX1500. It might be a little more money than you want to spend, but DJing on crap mixer is not an enjoyable experience.
    DVS setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DPDJ-101, Numark DXM06, Novation Dicer, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 8DJ
    Controller setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DN-SC2000, Denon DN120X, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 2DJ,

Quote Originally Posted by djpbe View Post
    I'm confused why you wouldn't use a more traditional DJ style mixer. If you are going to be DJing with a friend who uses TT's then the mixers you're looking at won't work at all. TT's require phono preamp's due to the low output voltage. The mixer you are looking at only has 4 mono inputs, and is usally used in production work or small live music type settings. I would recommend a 4 channel club mixer like the Denon DNX1500. It might be a little more money than you want to spend, but DJing on crap mixer is not an enjoyable experience.
    Thanks for the response.

I will be using VCI100SE and Traktor Pro internal mixer to mix. My purpose for buying an external mixer is to play louder (more preamp) and to have a backup audio source for when my laptop crashes.

Using it to duo DJ was an after thought and something I will probably never do.

So sticking to my needs/reality I just need a mixer to run Traktor Pro (audiofire4) & an iPod for backup music.

Isn't Channel 1&2 stereo? I would run Deck A on Channel 1, Deck B on Channel 2, and iPod on mono Channel 3/4.

Noob question: Let's say I'm playing a small apartment party and the host has a home theater system hooked up (bad idea i know). So I would only have one jack to plug into Main Out R/L. Does that mean half the speakers will play on the home theater system? or will the receiver process the signal and play through all of them.

Same sort of question with the mono 3/4 connection. Do I need an rca to dual quarter inch adapter to play through all speakers?

Thanks for the help,
    Caesar

ps. my last question pertains to using an ipod on channel 3/4

Quote Originally Posted by ceezo66 View Post
    Isn't Channel 1&2 stereo? I would run Deck A on Channel 1, Deck B on Channel 2, and iPod on mono Channel 3/4.
    Nop, channels 1 & 2 are MONO, and you have a little switch to make a STEREO pair with the two if you want...

If you're mixing internaly with Traktor, why do you want Deck A output on a different channel than Deck B ?? Why don't just use the master output ??

Traktor Master Output L to Mackie Channel 1
    Traktor Master Output R to Mackie Channel 2
    iPod to Mackie Channel 3/4

But if not, if you really want to have separate outuput, you can do :

Traktor Deck A Output to Mackie Channel 1 & 2 (switching STEREO PAIR)
    Traktor Deck B Output to Mackie Channel 3 & 4
    iPod to Mackie TAPE IN (and sending TAPE IN to Main)

To connect the iPod you'll need a cable with minijack on one side, and with 2 RCA on the other (to plug to TAPE IN) or with 2 jacks (to connect to IN 1 & 2 or 3/4)...

Quote Originally Posted by ceezo66 View Post
    Noob question: Let's say I'm playing a small apartment party and the host has a home theater system hooked up (bad idea i know). So I would only have one jack to plug into Main Out R/L. Does that mean half the speakers will play on the home theater system? or will the receiver process the signal and play through all of them.
    You going to send a Stereo signal to you home theatre system... I suppose that this one has a CD or AUX input... so the amp by itself should distribute the sound in all speaker if you send it in STEREO...
    Well, at least that how it's work at my mother's home...

Note : About the preamp... You're gonna bypass them they're for the MIC input only, switching to Line input just bypass it... or if not it'll have a very small "gain augmentation marge"...
    Last edited by minimalmintek; 05-20-2009 at 03:34 AM.