legal mp3 downloads - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Jack Bastard

Digital watermarks are embedded in the audio itself AFAIK, that's why they can still be traced after ripping to audio and back.

It's easy enough not to be scared though, just don't share your dj files.

Tech Guru

well the save approach would be to reencode via the analog "loop hole"
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Jack Bastard

No it wouldn't, because it's embedded in the audio. There are lots of frequencies that we can't hear in audio files, plenty of space to store info.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    It's easy enough not to be scared though, just don't share your dj files.
    Exactly.

Although some of the warnings say the the cd is not to be "transfered" and like most digital DJs i put everything onto my laptop.

The fear is that as soon as you put the CD in the laptop its sends a message to the record company that it is being transfered. We know this is easy technology , there just needs to be the program exe on the cd to do it just like a multimedia CD but without a stupid splash screen... Although it would be quite funny if the splash screen popped up saying "NAUGHTY BOY"

This is why i rip them offline and fill out the names manually.

The flip side of this is record companies sending out promos that will not play in laptops/pcs/mp3cdjs etc. This is a pain . When you have at the gig is CDJmk3s and a Laptop and you realise you cant play the Promo CD you are supposed to play at the Launch Nite of an album. This happened to me for the Oasis Album launch i did. I couldnt play the album at all.
    It was the same across the country and a few of the venues could not play their copies of the album.

Think i wandered off topic then.

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Although some of the warnings say the the cd is not to be "transfered" and like most digital DJs i put everything onto my laptop.
    That's where 'fair use' comes into play though. I can't seriously imagine any record company prosecuting people on their promo list if no evidence of sharing has come to light.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

But do you have "fair use" rights for something you have been given for free?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

so here is great point to consider when it come to "fair use" -
    "The first factor is about whether the use in question helps fulfill the intention of copyright law to stimulate creativity for the enrichment of the general public, or whether it aims to only "supersede the objects" of the original for reasons of personal profit" - taken from fair use wiki

So as DJ's are we trying to stimulate the enrichment of the general public or are we about personal profit.
    I think its both, but i dont do it for the money. Yeah it comes, but i DJ because i like being the bloodline of the party and making people dance.
    In return, i promote music for record labels and get people excited about the music.
    The record companies should be nicer to DJ's.

That's where 'fair use' comes into play though. I can't seriously imagine any record company prosecuting people on their promo list if no evidence of sharing has come to light.
    Yeah i agree with you totally. Ive had this conversation with a rep for EMI and he was telling me that it seems a bit much to be having a pop at DJs who do a lot of promotion for thier acts but he was saying that the leaks of big albums like U2 and Killers was behind it.
    Ive even had to fill out and sign release contracts for some albums giving the company total come back on me if the tracks were leaked. I had to declare that i had received the album and that i wouldnt copy/transfer and blah blah but also that i would destroy the album after the Promo launch/period...!!!

Mental stuff, probably a UK thing. It Sucks .

Quote Originally Posted by JeRK View Post
    The record companies should be nicer to DJ's.
    You just said in 8 words that this whole thread has tried to say.
    Spot On.

Tech Guru

No it wouldn't, because it's embedded in the audio. There are lots of frequencies that we can't hear in audio files, plenty of space to store info.
    I seriously doubt that this would survive going from an analog recording, especially since all digital audio encoding routines make it a point to filter this kind of information out. Of course whatever is picking up the analog signal would also have to pick this up.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast