That Little Spinning Rainbow Wheel Of Death...

Default That Little Spinning Rainbow Wheel Of Death...

Hey guys, well for all you Mac people out there you will know what I'm talking about.

Well I've been seeing a lot of these little devils lately, and can't figure out why. I'm running 2011 MBP 15" i7 8GB 500HDD.

I'm mostly seeing it when I'm online. When I have few windows open on Safari, and 1 or 2 downloads running, I suddenly see this damn wheel of death appear, and it doesn't go away. When I try to open other windows or refresh pages I get a warning saying that the pages are "not responding" and all the pages need to be reloaded. So that means to continue on the internet I need to reload all my pages, and lose any current downloads.

Now the thing is I never used to get this damn wheel, everything was great. It started like a week ago. The only thing thats changed recently, but which shouldn't be making any issue is that I recently installed OSX Lion. I've run Onyx to see if that would solve anything, but it's still the same. I just can't seem to figure out what keeps causing this "not responding wheel" and my pages to freeze? I've searched on google but came up nil.

Any ideas or feedback and suggestions guys? Thanks!
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

I'm new to Macs so this is the first I've heard of it. And I'm hoping I never experience it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

I'd firstly open disk utility and repair disk permissions and give the machine a re-start when it's done, common fix and I know third party apps may do this I just feel a bit better when using something built into the OS

Check your activity monitor?

Hard drive capacity? is it nearly full?

Do a PRAM and SMC reset
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

I never have this problem with my PC.

Trolololo...

My friend had a similar issue with her mac and this fixed it:

Don't know if this is helpful or not, you're probably better off taking the advice of one of the many Mac users on this forum before me. Good luck!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

10.7.3 used to do something similar in mine, I rolled back to 10.7.2 and was back in bussinnes. There is a new update now but since then I'm quite picky about system updates.
    Last edited by padi_04; 05-13-2012 at 05:36 AM.

Thanks for your help guys, everything is sorted now.

I post a question on the apple support page, and one of their guys answered and sorted me out.

Thanks again DJTT.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

What about sharing the reply you got from Apple ? So that if someone has this problem again, i'll be able to fix it too...

Quote Originally Posted by Lecko View Post
    I'd firstly open disk utility
    This might have just saved me!

My MBP has been a little sluggish recently, especially regarding any extensive read/writes to disk. Just looked at disk utility and my SMART status has failed. says i need a new HDD.

Luckily everything is backed up with time machine, and the machine is currently working. But still gotta prepare to replace the drive before it fails completely. Think ill do an SSD upgrade.
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    What about sharing the reply you got from Apple ? So that if someone has this problem again, i'll be able to fix it too...
    Sure thing bro! Here it is:

=================

"Hi Dustin ..

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Empty Cache. Try Safari.

If that didn't help, back to the menu bar click Safari > Preferences > Privacy. Click: Remove All Website Data

Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

Disabling the Lion "resume" feature can help Safari also.

Open System Preferences > General

Deselect: Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps

If nothing above has helped, try troubleshooting the Safari .plist (preferences)

Quit Safari.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Move the com.apple.Safari.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Desktop.

Quit then relaunch Safari. If that helped, move the .plist file to the Trash. If not, move it back to the Preferences folder.

If it's not corrupted preferences, go to ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

For Lion v10.7x: To find the Home folder in OS X Lion, open the Finder, hold the Option key, and choose Go > Library

Move the Cache.db file to the Trash. Quit then relaunch Safari to test."

Best third party App I use for cleaning caches etc is Main Menu, We install it on every mac we sell at work, best of the bunch in my opinion
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.