pc reading mac formatted drives ?
    Tech Mentor

Default pc reading mac formatted drives ?

Hi I rec jumped to mac from windows and have been using NTFS-3G to read all my ext drives.

Is there a similar thing for windows to read mac formatted drives ?

I am thinking to format all my drives in OSX would that make alot of difference to performance ? at the moment if I forget to saftley remove the disk from my windows desktop my mac cant read it and its getting annoying esp if I have no windows machine to sort it out .

I hardly use windows anymore but would like the option to have my drives able to read on both platforms.

any Ideas ?

I think that the easiest solution is using FAT 32 filesystem for you external drives. You need to use a software as partition magic in order to be able to make a FAT 32 drive bigger than 32 Gb though. FAT 32 filesystem is visible for windows, mac and linux.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    I think that the easiest solution is using FAT 32 filesystem for you external drives. You need to use a software as partition magic in order to be able to make a FAT 32 drive bigger than 32 Gb though. FAT 32 filesystem is visible for windows, mac and linux.
    cheers m8 I will look into that

nice one

Tech Guru

the rumor mill is saying that snow leopard will feature a windows hfs+ driver. in the mean time you can check out http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

here is the original "rumor":
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/06/...ndows-drivers/
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Convert

I agree, FAT 32 will work.

As will MacDrive, use both of these techniques- MacDrive is btw much faster then the other way around- NTFS for Mac is either read-only and decently fast or R+W and crawling to the point that it's useless.
    There are EXT2-Drivers for both OSs as well, but for me personally it was way to complicated to partition and format the drive when I used it.
    I mix stuff on my things...