Anyone ever built their own soundsystem? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Get over yourself buddy, I could be wrong but I signed up here under the impression that this was a Discussion Forum, again, my bad.

You say yourself that you aren't happy with the mid range, it just so happens my opinion is that 6.5" drivers don't make good mid range drivers, but I guess I'm just a fool for thinking that this was a place for sharing ideas and opinions. Durrr

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    but I guess I'm just a fool
    I agree. Anything else irrelevant to this thread that you wish to "discuss"? Obviously this "discussion" isnt going to go anywhere positive.

Tech Mentor

No, I think we both know that your conversation skills are about as good as your speaker design skills... I think we're done. kthxbai

Tech Guru

I'm just a fool
    nuff said

Tech Mentor

Cute. Blocked

Tech Guru

Cute. Blocked
    Thanks. Your irrelevant to the topic and uneeded opinions will be missed

Tech Wizard

I have a bit of experience with bfm. for the money they are super loud (watt/pressure) but if your an audio file you might percieve them as slightly boomy with distorted notes. the note distortion can be be due to many things but its very important you use proper delays as with any long horns e.i. Tuba 60's and 48's. they are also very very very very big dont build them unless you have a trailer and strong friends because you are not going to be moving them on your own. The BFM tops are usually spec'd with peizo electric tweaters which to me come off as very harsh but they are very efficient and pretty tough. i would not dump a ton of money building a system if its your first one because you will waste a lot of money choosing the wrong components as you learn which ones will work together best. read the BFM forums for hours, then read for a few more months, and then maybe think about building a couple speakers. personally i would by a component system with good amps/crossovers/signal processors and then build some BFM speakers to replace my premade compenents
    Last edited by djkidmt; 05-14-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo

Tech Guru

I'm not going to deny that BFM cabs have output, nobody in they're right mind is going to try to deny that. My issue is with the quality of that output, performance under stress, transportation and - yes, this is important to me - rider acceptability.
    If you face a "rider" then commercial (and really a subset) is the only viable option. The labsub is one of the few DIY cabinets I know of that are "rider friendly."

It is also true that horn loaded subs really like to work in "herds" (heards???....yuck, yuck). The real value of a sub comes when you have 4 or more in the pile. If you only need one (or two) subs, horns may not be the best choice (but I use two all the time).

I constantly hear stories of guys blowing drivers in BFM subs, this is unacceptable to me at any level. The worst part is when they turn to the forum for help, they get chastised and told that they're construction is not up to par.
    The issue that is most commonly reported is that the horn loaded subs are run without a hard limiter in the system, and the drivers are blown. Folded horn subs act as a "low pass" filter. The effective low pass filter of the folded horn "removes" some of the high(er) order harmonics that are produced with direct radiators (these harmonics are also produced by the woofer in the folded horn....but that content does not make it out of the sub). This difference in the sound takes some getting use to. In terms of your ears, there is "less" total frequency content coming from the subs....in terms of an SPL meter the SPL will be "the same" (for some value of "same").

Back to the topic of blown drivers....the distortion that typically proceeds a blown driver is high(er) frequency content...and is filtered out by a folded horn sub. Among other things, this means that folded horn subs "work" until they "silently" fail...and then they "suddenly" stop working. Or...you can't really hear a folded horn sub scream for mercy! The only effective way to protect the drivers in a folded horn sub is to use a hard limiter in the signal chain. This is made *crystal* clear on the forums....and is still ignored by people who "know better."

After 5 years of using folded horns, I *prefer* the "clean" bass produced by these subs...but I also understand that overtime my ears will find a new "normal" that can mask "reality." I hope that by knowing that, I can at least attempt to mitigate my own bias...to some degree.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

All fair points, in all fairness, I've never heard a 728 scream for mercy, I don't think they are capable of it

I wish we lived closer, I'd love to have a beer and do a shoot out.

<googles 728>

<googles 725>

<googles 4889>

<yes I'm that much of a noob when it comes to this ...>

Edit: If you are looking for the "dub sound", why don't you build (or even buy) some old scoops. Easy to build, sound like balls for everything else, but they are the "dub sound".
    Ah, didn't say I wanted to mimic that sound, more that I was influenced by it. I like the idea of a the guys round me breaking the system out on a sunny day and playing tunes down the park. From my (admittedly limited) understanding, dub speakers are bit, well, pony.
    Last edited by Sherlock Ohms; 05-15-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast