Anyone ever built their own soundsystem? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Have you personally heard any BFM cabinets?
    Yes and I've also heard a good amount of the boxes that he claims his product are capable of besting, there is a sucker born every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by djfunke View Post
    I don't know if you have seen this yet, but here is a thread of some finished bfm cabs- http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...hp?f=1&t=17753
    Ooooh, they're puuuuuuurdy/
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    Yes and I've also heard a good amount of the boxes that he claims his product are capable of besting, there is a sucker born every minute.
    Nice double entendre...

Unlike some, I don't claim any "magic sauce" for BFD or for commercial offerings. All sound obeys the laws of physics, and all human ears are subject to bias.

If you have less than about $2500 for a "full PA system"..it would be difficult to build any system....but there is very little in the way of commercial offerings that are worthy of a recommendation in that same price point. At any price point, DIY is not viable if you are dealing with "riders"....but if you are dealing with "riders" chances are you are running a rig full time and can afford to invest in commercial gear. Also, the used value of DIY is sketchy at best. With sites like eBay, the used value of commercial gear is more stable.

After 5 years of being "really" serious about learning about sound, I find that things like cabinet placement, proper gain structure, and having enough "rig for the gig" all play larger roles in the final sound scape than the specifics of the cabinets involved...for any reasonable cabinet.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

At the moment, I'm after building something useable, that I can build on in future. Start with a couple of tops and a sub an go from there.

Not intending to deal with gigs that involve riders, more something to roll out at a house/street party or reasonably sized bar gig with friends that can pack a well balanced punch.

Compact is good
    VFM is good
    Flexible is good

I mostly play hip-hop, funk, soul, reggae, nufunk, ghetto funk, and I'm not quite sure where to begin
    Last edited by Sherlock Ohms; 05-14-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Well the intention is to have something flexible enough for house parties with a couple of hundred people, to street parties with double that or more. The Engineer in me wants to make something myself (or at least help out) whereas the Scottish blood makes me want a bargain, in terms of audio bang for your buck (hence the BFM designs).

I'm also influenced by the big Jamaican Dub Systems we get being played out around me (I live in St Pauls in Bristol - apparently the highest density of Jamaicans in the world outside the island, all through the summer you get impromptu soundclashes down the park on a summer day ... and when Carnival rolls through town )

I'm a dab hand with electronics, and one of the lads I play with regularly is a cabinet maker/carpenter so between us we've got the skills to make them I reckon

I'm always the guy at parties doing the setup and I would just love being able to bring some seriously ace sound to the next gig I play ...
    Thats cool man. That was kinda my reasons/goals when I built mine. Mine is just a straight up 2 speaker 3-way system ( 2 - 15" subs / 2 6.5" mids/ 2 3" titanium tweeters in each speaker). If I had to do it over again I woulda spent a little more on the mids, but I'm still very happy w/ the outcome and really cant complain at all. If your not looking to throw sound a crazy distance I would suggest just building a regular enclosed speaker design. I was able to find a pretty cool somewhat inexpensive sub that really sounds good and hits very very low and that didnt require a huge sealed box so I could consildate everything into one speaker per L/R channel without the size of the cabinet being overwhelming and thus keeping things fairly simple. You can obviously seperate the subs from the tops and make things lighter to carry and also do a ported cab to keep the box size down on your sub cabinet. As it is, I'm very confident my speakers could easily fill pretty much any bar w/ a ton of sound and probably even handle a small club, but I havent tried them out on a huge space as of yet. Let me know if you need any help or if you need some reference material and what not.
    Last edited by manchild; 05-14-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Tech Mentor

I'm not going to deny that BFM cabs have output, nobody in they're right mind is going to try to deny that. My issue is with the quality of that output, performance under stress, transportation and - yes, this is important to me - rider acceptability.

I don't think that BFM cabs sound good, they don't sound terrible, but they sure don't sound too good after listening to a deployment of 4889s, or even 725s for that matter. Piezo's sound terrible to me, and low end eminence horn drivers aren't that much better imo.

I constantly hear stories of guys blowing drivers in BFM subs, this is unacceptable to me at any level. The worst part is when they turn to the forum for help, they get chastised and told that they're construction is not up to par. All of this is unacceptable, when I set up a rig with 728s, I do so knowing that no matter what I throw at it, it's going to eat it up and ask for more. I' had bridged MA2400s running full out into 728s when I provided audio for Karl Wolfe, the subs just wanted more, I don't know if I would feel that confident with a Titan cab.

A 728 is imo, one of the most easily transportable subwoofers in the industry. I can put a 725 on top of a 728 by myself.

If someone wants to use BFM cabs for their own personal use, or any other cab for that matter, I say power to you. I've got a pair of Behringer 1031 monitors on either side of me at this very moment, I would never recommend them for professional applications, but they beat the hell out the speakers built into my iMac.

BFM to me parallels that, I'm sure it far exceeds the offerings of Yorkville's Elite line, or Peavey's... any line. But it's a little insulting to my intelligence and my own personal experience when I read some of the crap Bill says on his site.

FFS, I might just have to build a Titan of my own now.

Edit: If you are looking for the "dub sound", why don't you build (or even buy) some old scoops. Easy to build, sound like balls for everything else, but they are the "dub sound".

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Thats cool man. That was kinda my reasons/goals when I built mine. Mine is just a straight up 2 speaker 3-way system ( 2 - 15" subs / 2 6.5" mids/ 2 3" titanium tweeters in each speaker). If I had to do it over again I woulda spent a little more on the mids, but I'm still very happy w/ the outcome and really cant complain at all. If your not looking to throw sound a crazy distance I would suggest just building a regular enclosed speaker design. I was able to find a pretty cool somewhat inexpensive sub that really sounds good and hits very very low and that didnt require a huge sealed box so I could consildate everything into one speaker per L/R channel without the size of the cabinet being overwhelming and thus keeping things fairly simple. You can obviously seperate the subs from the tops and make things lighter to carry and also do a ported cab to keep the box size down on your sub cabinet. As it is, I'm very confident my speakers could easily fill pretty much any bar w/ a ton of sound and probably even handle a small club, but I havent tried them out on a huge space as of yet. Let me know if you need any help or if you need some reference material and what not.
    6.5" speakers are not mids, they are useless in a pro setting imo. A proper mid range driver is typically 10-12", coupled with a nice woofer, a quality HF and proper amps and processing. Personally I'd rather see a beefy 15" mid range with a nice 2" HF, a good two way box usually blows away it's equivalent 3 way box.

Tech Guru

6.5" speakers are not mids, they are useless in a pro setting imo. A proper mid range driver is typically 10-12", coupled with a nice woofer, a quality HF and proper amps and processing. Personally I'd rather see a beefy 15" mid range with a nice 2" HF, a good two way box usually blows away it's equivalent 3 way box.
    They are Mid-hi's, but wasnt really asking for your opinion anyways. Thanks for your input.

Tech Mentor

Sorry for reading mids and assuming that you actually meant mids... My bad...

Tech Guru

Sorry for reading mids and assuming that you actually meant mids... My bad...
    Guess I shoulda known to make sure to specify everything including what they are crossed at, cause there is bound to be a know it all to second guess everything even though it's not really relevant . Like I even said before, woulda done things a little differently w/ my mids anyways if I decide to do it over. Thanks for your input, but def wasnt asking for it

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast