Clown DJ's - Page 11
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Clown DJ's

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    So now when he tells people he's a House DJ, people are going to say "Oh! Like Steven Angello and the SHM guys?". And that's when you see him go,

Attachment 9592
    Swedish Fish Mafia

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Maybe there's a misunderstanding on my part or your part, but the above makes me think you are missing the point. I don't think that commercial success is an issue. Also, putting the beatles in that category is way off base. Their "mop tops" weren't a gimmick. That was a haircut. Also, they happened to have put out some of the most timeless music in the past 50 years.
    Yeah, it was an anti-haircut, that at the time was part of the gimmick used to put them in front of audiences as something other than the fairly ordinary rock'n'roll band they were at the time.

Dude, seriously: I love some of the music they made. I love their music lots, lots more when they got big enough that they could do whatever they wanted - their early stuff is ordinary rock'n'roll.

Which I like, on that basis (I like rock'n'roll, man. I like it when it's real, and raw, and made by kids that don't actually have anything better to do. Exactly like the Beatles.

Commercial success is entirely the issue, here. Commercial success is why people go to SEE a band, or SEE a DJ. It's because the aim for commercial success is a driver of the ENTERTAINMENT industry, and the music is almost incidental.

Because people go to SEE the DJ, the show is about all sorts of things other than the music. And so the people who love music (see also: most of the people in this thread) get uptight, because they think the thing they love is being usurped by money, and poseurs, and blank-faced corporate c*nts (see also: MTV Get Off The Air - Dead Kennedys)

Dude, it's not being usurped by them. What they do has almost nothing to do with music. So bless SHM/Aoki/Angello/Skrillex/Deadmau5 thrice, hope they get pancreatic cancer, and move on.

You don't actually have to wish cancer on them, I just do that because I'm a c*nt.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

there are so many negative people here
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    Yeah, it was an anti-haircut, that at the time was part of the gimmick used to put them in front of audiences as something other than the fairly ordinary rock'n'roll band they were at the time.

Dude, seriously: I love some of the music they made. I love their music lots, lots more when they got big enough that they could do whatever they wanted - their early stuff is ordinary rock'n'roll.

Which I like, on that basis (I like rock'n'roll, man. I like it when it's real, and raw, and made by kids that don't actually have anything better to do. Exactly like the Beatles.

Commercial success is entirely the issue, here. Commercial success is why people go to SEE a band, or SEE a DJ. It's because the aim for commercial success is a driver of the ENTERTAINMENT industry, and the music is almost incidental.

Because people go to SEE the DJ, the show is about all sorts of things other than the music. And so the people who love music (see also: most of the people in this thread) get uptight, because they think the thing they love is being usurped by money, and poseurs, and blank-faced corporate c*nts (see also: MTV Get Off The Air - Dead Kennedys)

Dude, it's not being usurped by them. What they do has almost nothing to do with music. So bless SHM/Aoki/Angello/Skrillex/Deadmau5 thrice, hope they get pancreatic cancer, and move on.

You don't actually have to wish cancer on them, I just do that because I'm a c*nt.

You're still missing the point of that blog post. It's not against commercial or any other type of success. It's just breaks it down to the fact that some of these guys act like clowns while a lot of other great DJ's don't need to rely on the horse and pony show to sell tickets. It's about pointing out the fact that certain people go to these shows and are entertained by the "cake smashing" and other bullshit, while other guys do it strictly through playing good music with great technical skill. No where does it say what those guys like SHM do is bad, but just points out that they resort to that stuff instead of only being good DJ's. You might want to refocus on that initial blog post (the one the mods didn't edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Yeah, those fake-ass DJs, playing prerecorded tracks THEY DIDN'T EVEN PRODUCE!

Wait....
    Yeah, well its a slightly different topic that....
    These guys will produce the tracks, but when the get booked to play Live (EG, Ableton + Controller), they just stand their and push play. Not doing a damn thing to the music as it plays.
    Some will actually just stand there hands in the air. Some will go as far as faking it.
    The started calling that, Live PA (Personal Appearance). I mean DJ your own tracks, or lay em down in Ableton and change it up slightly.....not that hard...

Then you get the douchebags that don't produce, but 'steal' unreleased tunes and rename them, adding their own handle. Trying to pass them off as their own. Not even trying to sell em....just trying to get some cred...I dunno.

Then you get the double douches that pay someone else to produce and put their name on it.....

You get a few catagories of these too.

1) The DJ who can't produce, but wants to tour etc. He needs released tracks to add weight to him DJ name and get booked internationally.

2) The guy wanting to be a celebrity. I will bet money that Paulie D will be releasing some tracks soon and it won't actually be him that wrote it.

3) The musician (used roughly) that does not know how to use Software and Studio Gear. He will sit with another producer and pretty much tell him what he likes and does not.

You get the picture.

Being a Clown DJ and being a fake ass mofo....are 2 different things to me.

If the clown needs his gimmick to pull of his sets....let him do it.
    A good entertaining show is always a good thing, but to what end?

This is a hard business to be in really because we as DJ's see it from a specific view point.
    The punter sees it totally differently.

The DJ himself wants to be recognized for his talent and effort.
    The Punter just wants cool music.

The crowd does not get that clowns kinda drag the DJing name down a bit. The youngsters love the madness and it fuels the whole thing and more DJ's become clowns. Its their lil foot in the door, their break in getting recognized. They say there is no such thing as bad publicity....so make fools of themselves and get spoken about.

The punters don't see this view....they just see mad entertaining whackness.....
    They think they getting their money's worth...

How do the REAL Dj's change that perception?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
    there are so many negative people here
    Cuz we can see your mask thats hidden.....hehehehe

Just teasing. Its passion bro. Like Italians...that get real loud? If you a real DJ and have been doing it for YEARS....then seeing some dick with a mask button mashing and being the SHIT and getting hyped massively....its depressing.

You have honed and practiced your skill for 20 odd years...only to have some kid come and take over on a technicality...that equals bullshit at the end of the day.

Take Carl Cox.... He has been round for YEARS....solid sold DJ on all aspects of the game (ok..not turntablism).
    Play a vid of him mixing and watch him for a few minutes.

Then play a video of a DJ in a mask that is mixing real well (using Sync Lock and KeyCodes) and its tearing it up. Maybe only been mixing for a year or 2.

Which one do you think the youngsters or punters gonna wanna see live...in real life?

Its a hard pill to swallow.

The connoisseurs are not the majority.....and it will end with Carl Cox being forgotten....they can appreciate what he is doing etc, but the average person?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Cuz we can see your mask thats hidden.....hehehehe

Just teasing. Its passion bro. Like Italians...that get real loud? If you a real DJ and have been doing it for YEARS....then seeing some dick with a mask button mashing and being the SHIT and getting hyped massively....its depressing.

You have honed and practiced your skill for 20 odd years...only to have some kid come and take over on a technicality...that equals bullshit at the end of the day.

Take Carl Cox.... He has been round for YEARS....solid sold DJ on all aspects of the game (ok..not turntablism).
    Play a vid of him mixing and watch him for a few minutes.

Then play a video of a DJ in a mask that is mixing real well (using Sync Lock and KeyCodes) and its tearing it up. Maybe only been mixing for a year or 2.

Which one do you think the youngsters or punters gonna wanna see live...in real life?

Its a hard pill to swallow.

The connoisseurs are not the majority.....and it will end with Carl Cox being forgotten....they can appreciate what he is doing etc, but the average person?
    I totally see where you're coming from, Carl Cox is an amazing DJ. And yeah, im a Clown DJ that wears a mask but this is how I see it: It comes down to the performer and the way they want their audience to experience the show. Carl Cox does his thing because thats how he wants to be known, a badass DJ that just gets up there and does what he does and everyone loves it. But for the "Clown DJs" (this is some, not all) like me not only want the music to be the experience but for the lights and the performers themselves to all be tied together with it. Example, people in my area are getting big into dubstep/brostep just like everywhere else these days, but when it gets to the brostep area of our set and we put the masks on it adds to the mood of the music. And with music piracy getting so big these days as a producer its hard to make a living, so using "gimmicks" and being a "clown" are things people are resorting to so more people come to their shows so they can make a living doing what they love. You can hate on somebody for wearing a mask, but if thats how they want to portray their love for music and how they want to perform for the crowd then you have no right to put it down imo, just do things how you like to do them. It is all for the sake of Entertainment in the end, not how bad you wanna judge other DJs.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Did some touching up. Please watch the language.
    Is this a communist website? Or do we have freedom of speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Reklusive View Post
    jesus christ! now they just gotta get danny dyer to do the warm-up set !
    I seriously LOL'd - can you picture them two of them on stage together? On the other hand DJ Bl3nd...is he bland, blind or blond? Mostly I just don't like the music he plays. But he compounds his lack of taste with being an a$$hat on stage and in his bedroom. Some of this is tongue in cheek you figure out which part!
    17" MBP:2.66Ghz i7 8Gb| Traktor Pro 2|Live 8 Suite
    Novation Twitch & LaunchPad|M-Audio Oxygen 25
    Presonus FireStudio Mobile|Shure 315's|Yamaha HS50M's
    "“beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3."-deadmau5

Quote Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
    I totally see where you're coming from, Carl Cox is an amazing DJ. And yeah, im a Clown DJ that wears a mask but this is how I see it: It comes down to the performer and the way they want their audience to experience the show. Carl Cox does his thing because thats how he wants to be known, a badass DJ that just gets up there and does what he does and everyone loves it. But for the "Clown DJs" (this is some, not all) like me not only want the music to be the experience but for the lights and the performers themselves to all be tied together with it. Example, people in my area are getting big into dubstep/brostep just like everywhere else these days, but when it gets to the brostep area of our set and we put the masks on it adds to the mood of the music. And with music piracy getting so big these days as a producer its hard to make a living, so using "gimmicks" and being a "clown" are things people are resorting to so more people come to their shows so they can make a living doing what they love. You can hate on somebody for wearing a mask, but if thats how they want to portray their love for music and how they want to perform for the crowd then you have no right to put it down imo, just do things how you like to do them. It is all for the sake of Entertainment in the end, not how bad you wanna judge other DJs.
    Sure dude, nothing wrong with it. I don't mind personally, but just trying to view it from someone like Carl's perspective.

I mean...you are correct. You do your thing and he does his....

Keep up or get left behind I guess.....

Thing is, is it corrupting the punters\crowd\audience?

Is it teaching them that the more gimmicks and tricks....the better the show?

Guys like Carl will end up fading away...while the clown dj is king for a bit. As soon as the hype dies down, they are forgotten. So their shelf life is real short I recon.

Its a tough one...

I can't blame newer DJ's for using this hype. I mean, its 'marketing' yourself in that manner.
    You do what you have to, to get gigs etc.

I guess its up to the DJ's like Carl to come up with something better or different.....i dunno.

...tough one...

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast