Recording mic on Xone 62?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recording mic on Xone 62?

Hi guy's

Please I need some advice.

I've had a xone 62 for about 2 months now and love it so far except for one thing. This last weekend I did an online radio show and the mic does not go to the either the booth output or record output. Only the main mix output which goto my monitors. It is designed this way so mc's don't get feedback from the booth. Now as far as I can see there are a few ways to solve this

1) use custom splitter cabels from the mix output to record. One to monitors other to soundcard.

2)take the record/booth output to a mixing desk with mic then to soundcard.

3)modify one of the mic channels to bypass the clean feed. (scary) see in the picture

xone 62 mod.jpg

I don't want to spend much money sorting this out as I have already spent alot lately on gear.

If I went for a mixing desk which I will probably do for production in the future, will getting a relatively cheap seconed hand one comprimise the audio quality of the xone 62?

does the mod look easy to do? has anyone done it?

or just get custom cables made?

the 4th option is to use aux out to record but levels can easily go wrong with that,

or would getting a studio soundcard with inputs for the mic and music in to broadcast with?

Which do you think would be best? Or any options I should look at? Maybe daisychaining the monitors to soundcard?

regards
    Last edited by zimfella; 05-15-2012 at 05:28 AM.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

bump

anyone?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

There's a video of a guy pulling a jumper on a 92 to make the mic go to a record channel. It looks pretty easy maybe the 62 is the same.

Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Thanks for the response photojojo,

yeah I've seen the video already. Guess I won't know till I open it up, which I'm not gonna do, even though I work in the electronics industry messing shit up daily

If I daisy chained from the my master mix speakers to the sound card line in on another pc? that should work? I know I need to use trs balanced otherwise i will loose 6db, just don't want to damage that sound card. The cables will only cost £20 so no trainsmash I guess
    Last edited by zimfella; 05-15-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Tech Mentor

What I do is use the booth output for the monitors, and the main output for the broadcast stream.

Booth out is _for_ going to the monitors. Why don't you just do this?

*edit* ah - I can do this because Nicecast does an automatic record of the stream it's broadcasting. What are you using to broadcast? There's probably a way to grab the stream direct to disc as well as out to the interweb
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

i'm so dumb "duh" I should of thought of that. It will work.
    Although would be nice to hear your voice to make sure it sounds ok. I've only done the one show with a helpful freind who's show it is. I'm trying to get my own up n going. I'm sure it was "edcast" we both recorded the show but missed the voiceover. To be honest I was bricking it at the time as there were 150 listeners and was just paying att to my mixing But since dicovered this on the xone 62.

cheers for the response, I will experemint with your suggestion and see how it comes out
    Last edited by zimfella; 05-15-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by zimfella View Post
    i'm so dumb "duh" I should of thought of that. It will work.
    Although would be nice to hear your voice to make sure it sounds ok. I've only done the one show with a helpful freind who's show it is. I'm trying to get my own up n going. I'm sure it was "edcast" we both recorded the show but missed the voiceover. To be honest I was bricking it at the time as there were 150 listeners and was just paying att to my mixing But since dicovered this on the xone 62.

cheers for the response, I will experemint with your suggestion and see how it comes out
    You can either cue the mic channel, or turn all the cues off and get the master. Then your dulcet tones will come through the 'phones and you go "but I don't sound like that!!!!"
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Thanks lol. seems easy enough. i just used the master out's to my speakers so i could use balanced outputs. i could watch the vu meters before to make sure it was not distorting which i still could do. . not sure if i want to hear my voice any how as i sounds as surprised as Kermit waking up next to a pig after bendering all night.,

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by zimfella View Post
    Thanks lol. seems easy enough. i just used the master out's to my speakers so i could use balanced outputs. i could watch the vu meters before to make sure it was not distorting which i still could do. . not sure if i want to hear my voice any how as i sounds as surprised as Kermit waking up next to a pig after bendering all night.,
    Yeah, the booth outs are balanced too. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast