are we in the middle of an "attitudes to midi djing backlash"
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default are we in the middle of an "attitudes to midi djing backlash"

i think so, and the sales figures suggest that I am correct...
    http://spektakx.com/2012/05/16/the-g...midi-backlash/

Tech Mentor

I don't have any buyer's remorse with my S2, I definitely plan to upgrade down the road. But for what I paid, my S2 has more than surpassed my expectations, can you really expect something that only costs $400 to be a top dollar performer?

This could be read many ways, especially the sales figures. For one, much like your turntables and a mixer you used to buy, once you got your setup you really wouldn't be out there buying another one. After spending $899 on an S4 plus another $1500 on a new laptop, I would be pretty content with that for awhile I'd say.

Also, all this could mean is that the great "DJ Hype" is dying down, and people who thought they wanted to be a DJ are selling their new gear off on the cheap, so now the second hand or "Craigslist" market is blowing up with good deals that there isn't really a need to go out and buy gear new.

Just my thoughts and perspective.

@JasonBay - Good points made there pal. That article actually reads like the author has a serious chip on his shoulder!

Anyone who does their research correctly buys what they want and will generally stick with it. if they don't then its because they didn't do their research!

Your "DJ Hype" comment is right on the money!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Part of what i think is happening is that there isn't enough "development" with midi tricks/styles whatever. people try it once, and decide DVS will perform better, but I think we can find ways to use midi to match and go beyond DVS, even with jog wheel static-tablism
    I'm doing stuff like this

Quote Originally Posted by Buckner View Post
    What sales figures? You don't seem to quite any in the article?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Buckner View Post
    The final paragraph is odd as well, are you saying that if NI put a spinning LED circle on the next-gen controller ala Pioneer CDJs, people would start to accept them finally?

Man, if that's all it takes what is NI waiting for!

ummm... just wanna throw out there that Porter Robinson uses an s4 and just that in his setup and seems to be doing well and madeon uses 2 launchpads i believe :3

Tech Mentor

We already have the Numark NS6 and 4Trak, and Pio S1/T1/Ergo with spinning lights, and the Numarks are built like tanks. The guy is just venting his frustration... it's still just as ridiculous as before, 10 years ago they had the same thing going with the Technics guys slamming CDJs for being overpriced toys.

I agree with Jason, there's a lot of people who got Mixtrack Pros just to try this DJ'ing thing out because they're so cheap, and end up selling them - but nobody drops 1000 currency units on a controller unless they're serious. I've yet to see this flood of almost mint S4's in classifieds.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast