Is anyone using a NAS to store music for OS X Lion-based machines?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is anyone using a NAS to store music for OS X Lion-based machines?

Kind of a techie question, but there are plenty of Mac folk here, and this is affecting my DJ workflow.

I have 3 Macs running 10.6 and 10.7.3. Everything was fine using my LaCie 2TB Ethernet Disk as a central repository for my music, until I tried accessing it from my MPro running Lion.

It appears to be an issue with Apple using their own homegrown implementation of SMB.

Q: Is anyone running a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device, and is using Lion?

Mods: please move if too off topic for general. Thx.

Yeah pretty sure they screwed up SMB for Lion. I ran into an issue getting my Western Digital TV to work properly on lion and found a workaround where you can reinstall SMB- there is a package that will automate the process that I used a few days ago that will probably help.

See here: http://knowledgebase.hsti.com/re-ins...-x-lion-10-7-x

For anyone who's curious... I use the NAS to house my master library of music. I copy music from there to my laptop when I'm putting a set together. I also access the NAS from my WDTV and the other computers for leisure.

I have a NAS that I use with Lion 10.7.3, but my NAS supports AFP and SMB. I currently have AFP enabled, so no issues there.

I also have a machine running Windows 7 that is used as a media server to my Apple TV's, PS3's and some other devices. I am able to connect to it using the Lion's SMB without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Papo, what NAS are you using? model, specs, etc...

I'm pretty sure my LaCie is a legacy product, hence, no update for the new bizarro SMB that apple created.

Here you go. I paid $80 for it brand new. There are a lot better ones out there, but this one does the job.

DLink - DNS320

If I were to buy a new one, it would definitely be a Synology. I have heard a lot of good things about them. (Frequent firmware updates, support is great, nice UI, responsive, etc...)

http://sharecenter.dlink.com/products/DNS-320

Tech Guru

I have no issues accessing Windows/Linux/FreeBSD based NAS devices over SMB. My Samba based systems are all pretty much up-to-date, though.

have a Lion upgraded from Leopard and have a fresh installed Lion 10.7.3 (on a nice E3-1230 mini-itx desktop hackie).

Hey Nosferatu, I thought you are a Dell fan

If you are to research & experiment, you could try different samba / nas software versions in a VM, but that'd probably be a waste of time. Your device has to work as is, who cares if the alternatives would work.

For those interested in NAS solutions, I would suggest checking out the FreeNAS/ZFS path on an Atom based system. One can build a very decent compact NAS with FreeNAS.

I'm telling you, follow the link I posted above- this is a known issue with lion and some SMB devices.

http://knowledgebase.hsti.com/re-ins...-x-lion-10-7-x

You can get SMBUp here

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/41541/smbup

"SMBUp
    re-instates Samba as a service of your mac and provides a simple interface to manage the service."

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    Hey Nosferatu, I thought you are a Dell fan
    Yes indeedy.. a Dell fan I am, but more than that, I'm a technology fan to the Nth degree.

Truth be told, I have an amazing resource for refurb hardware that allows me to buy "almost current" hardware at very cheap prices.

The macs are (to me) the same as any other computer, and my use of them depends on what I want to do (read Logic Audio). My Dell fanboyish persona comes from my disdain of folks that preach the "Macs just work" gospel. I've had my share of issues on both platforms, the SMB issue is just really bugging me lately. The LaCie NAS also supports AFP, but I'm getting inconsistent performance and I can't narrow it down to one thing or the other. (QuarkXpress and InDesign have issues with saving files to NAS devices, and then there's Time Machine..sigh)

I've got a Dell PowerEdge 2950 (yeah, I know, I know..hehe) that I want to use as a NAS (it has a 5.5TB RAID array) but time is not on my side...I just want my LaCie to work but 10.7.3 isn't letting me. GRRRRRRRrrrrr...

Thanks for the links Xonetacular...It gave me a place to start my research.

Anyone use a Synology DS411?

i've had the same problem with my WD 4tb NAS on Lion. Rolled back after the Lion update to the NAS, curious to upgrade back to see how things are playing out cause I want to setup the NAS a Timemachine Back or media dump
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast