So I want to buy an external mixer...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default So I want to buy an external mixer...

Currently, I have a faderfox DJ2, an akai mpd24, and an echo audiofire2. I am all about portability and ease of setup so my current configuration has worked pretty well. However, my fingers are getting a little fat, and as much as I love the faderfox, I need something bigger to play with. I want an external mixer because I hope it will it allow me a little more versatility in my setup, and it is much more interchangeable with my friends setups which utilize serato. I've been eyeing 4 channel mixers that have midi capabilities, but I'm not sure if it's just built up in my head that I need midi and 4 channels, or if it is actually necessary for what I want to do. I don't plan on getting tables in the near future, so I'll be using the akai to play/pause and pitch control, while leaving the mixer to do the basic eq's and whatnot. I'd like to utilize the midi capabilities, but I'm worried that some of the mixers i'm looking at lack in the Sound Quality department. Out of the Korg Zero4, Ecler Nuo4, and the Behringer DDM4000, which is the most solid and quality? Midi control would be nice, but If the mixer I get lacks in sound quality I won't be able to utilize it's midi functions outside my bedroom. Anyone got any ideas or pointers?

There has been a lot of good buzz surrounding the Korg Zero line of mixers. The Korg Zeros are now Scratch Certified, meaning you can sell your sound card and use the one on the mixer. one fire wire cable connected is much easier that a grip of RCA'a running to your device. There is also the added benefit of MIDI control, so paired with a vci you have ample options to control and DAW or DVS software.

Tech Wizard

I own a Behringer DDM 4000, an Allen & Heath Xone 3D and a Korg Zero 4. I bought the Korg Zero 4 because the Xone 3D had firmware problems and I was forced to send the unit back to the factory for repairs.

Behringer DDM 4000: the sound quality is not the best. While it is good for playing at home or small bars, you will notice the poor sound quality if you will use it in bigger clubs. Also the build quality is not so nice. But the price is very good for what it offers.

A&H Xone 3D: outstanding sound quality; I think it sounds better than a CDJ 1000 (personal opinion).

Very nice layout of the midi controls: it has plenty of knobs / faders / buttons and it allows me to use 3 decks in Traktor Pro, with looping, cue jumps and effects. Build quality is very good also.

All you need (very good hardware mixer, lots of midi controls and very good sound card quality) in one unit, with only one USB cable to the computer.

Korg Zero 4: When I first saw it I thought I will sell my Xone 3D and keep this one. After 2-3 weeks of using it, my opinion is not the same:
    - built quality is extremely low compared with A&H, Ecler or Pioneer mixers.
    - sound quality seems very very poor when compared to the Xone 3D I hoped that it will not be like this, but when you put them one near another you cannot even compare the sound quality
    - I enjoyed the fact that I was able to use Traktor Pro with 4 decks (the Xone 3D has only 3 soundcard channels)
    - the Korg Zero 4 sometimes crashed and needed a restart (very frustrating); it is possible that there is a problem with my unit.

If you want I can ship you my Korg Zero 4, I no longer use it since the Xone 3D came back :P

Summing this up:

If you need an all-in-one solution, go for the Xone 4D or Xone 3D. I have a friend that bought the Xone 4D two months ago and it works very nice. But you should be aware that it is possible to have firmware problems with it (many users did). Also, the build quality of the Xone 3D is better than the Xone 4D, because Allen & Heath now produce their units in China :| . This difference is most noticeable when using the mixer's faders; the midi controls are practically the same.

If you need just a mixer, given the controllers and sound card that you already have, go for an external mixer from Allen & Heath (Xone 42, Xone 92), Pioneer (DJM 800 or DJM 700), Rane or Ecler. If you have the money, you might want an Ecler Evo5 (also has a soundcard). Korg and Behringer have very poor sound quality compared to A&H, Ecler, Rane or even Pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by istrateo View Post
    Korg Zero 4: When I first saw it I thought I will sell my Xone 3D and keep this one. After 2-3 weeks of using it, my opinion is not the same:
    - built quality is extremely low compared with A&H, Ecler or Pioneer mixers.
    - sound quality seems very very poor when compared to the Xone 3D I hoped that it will not be like this, but when you put them one near another you cannot even compare the sound quality.
    Always good to hear from people who have personally tested these units. I think now I will hold off on the zero 4 (it was an impulse buy anyway). I think I will save for a while and get a unit from Ecler or A&H.

Tech Wizard

I have the Xone 42, good unit. Solid decent mixer for the price,simple layout, it does the basic stuff (no flashing bits and pieces) but it does it damn well.

Sound is really good quality like all A&H products.

But no midi control and no built-in soundcard if that's what you are into.

Tech Wizard

thanks for all your replies. I'm looking at the Ecler 5 now, as well as the pioneer djm700. They are two that I had somehow overlooked. Though, I'm wondering if midi is actually a necessity for me. Basically I want to get the best bang for my buck, and I'm looking to spend around 1000.

Get a used Allen&Heath Xone 92. Analog, beautiful sound, lots of inputs & outs and good basic filters. If it's from a bedroom DJ, there won't be so much wear & tear.

I can't see the logic of getting a built-in sound card as technology keeps evolving and getting more affordable. With an analog mixer like the xone 92, you're getting a solid machine that will last for years, you can upgrade the sound card/midi as the technology evolves but the mixer is the heart of your sound.

I just recently upgraded to a Xone 92, after renting various mixers for the last 6 months and can't believe how good our sets sound now.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by minimal View Post
    Get a used Allen&Heath Xone 92. Analog, beautiful sound, lots of inputs & outs and good basic filters. If it's from a bedroom DJ, there won't be so much wear & tear.

I can't see the logic of getting a built-in sound card as technology keeps evolving and getting more affordable. With an analog mixer like the xone 92, you're getting a solid machine that will last for years, you can upgrade the sound card/midi as the technology evolves but the mixer is the heart of your sound.

I just recently upgraded to a Xone 92, after renting various mixers for the last 6 months and can't believe how good our sets sound now.
    I was about to buy a second hand 92 for 1000$, but the dude just sold it before.

As for myself, i know i wouldn't need midi inside my mixer. Ive got enough midi gizmos to make traktor work. If you buy a xone and you regret there is no midi (although there is some on the 92), you can still add a 1D that sits nicely aside the mixer.

I'm happy with my audio 8 running 4 channels into my mixer. But with a built-in soundcard inside the mixer maybe you will not have as many outputs you want.

But Ecler 5 is also a good choice, big knobs ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron D.P. View Post
    I have the Xone 42, good unit. Solid decent mixer for the price,simple layout, it does the basic stuff (no flashing bits and pieces) but it does it damn well.

Sound is really good quality like all A&H products.

But no midi control and no built-in soundcard if that's what you are into.
    I thaught the 42 does have a built in sound card?
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Default Do I really have to say it?

I just spent all morning doing this sickest multi-touch crab scratch on my midi-mixer the SCS3M. Want a good, small, incredibly multi-functional mixer that will allow you to mix and quicky "leap-frog years of practice" in the turntablism realm? It's here and it will be out soon. I've said it before, but here it goes again; Every day!; that's how often I find a new way to use the mixer. I'm doing techniques that simply can't be done with a traditional physical crossfader. Everyone is kinda distracted by the touch scratch surface of the SCS3s, myself included. However, I can honestly say that right now the most exciting functions are the multi-touch faders. Hey, don't get me wrong, I love "luuuuhv" Ecler mixers, but I wouldn't trade my 3M for 2 of 'em. So go ahead and fight it and think of reasons why I'm wrong. Those reasons will probably sound just like all of my arguments to the folks at Stanton the whole time I've been testing these. That's why I feel so strongly now. I have repeatedly been forced to admit that I was wrong about the SCS3s. I'm a skeptical person by nature. I could make a list (as long as this blabby post of mine) of the things I thought the SCS3s couldn't do. I've been wrong every time. The new crab scratch is the latest proof of that. So do what you want with your dough, but don't say I didn't tell you so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast