Djing with Laptop and Speakers only...

Default Djing with Laptop and Speakers only...

Looks like I won't have my Vci-300 going in time for this Sat. It's only a wedding so, I'll be okay with my laptop and speakers only.. But, do any of you have any advice with using itunes for this. Is there functions for having less delay between tracks and volume leveling so, I won't have to be ready to adjust it every track? It's already pretty quick with playing without delays but, I'm open for any advice. It's my first gig and friday I'm meeting with a bar/club owner close to home about playing some funk/disco for the older crowd. I'm very excited..
    Beetz

iTunes? You could DJ a wedding without a midi controller alright, but at least get something with two decks like Beatport Sync (free online). you really need to have at least two decks to transition between tracks. You could probably get away without beatmatching for a wedding; just play the right tracks and do quick cuts between them rather than blends. But again, get something with two decks! Anyone can DJ with iTunes, and people will only hire you again if they perceive that you provide a valuable service that others cannot provide for free.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

Tech Mentor

last wedding i played i put my zune software on random on the playlist i had made and left it the entire night.
    you need to get an understanding of what they expect and move from there. if all they want is some tunes, itunes is fine. if they want a full dance party you need to probably go abit further.

Tech Guru

if you are on a Mac, get djay and a USB headset. djay lets you monitor vis a usb headset, while using your headphone for the main speakers.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Wizard

Guys it's already on this wonderfull site =)

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/08/1...unes/#more-624

Have fun on the weeding mate !

Thanx for the 411 guys.. It's really just a friends wedding and they just want music played. I'm doing it for free and just found out it was only gonna be for 2 hours or so... My unedited playlist was 10 hours long :-(. Well, I guess I'll get to play more soon enough. I did pick up my new "mint condition" Mackie SA-1530s-Made in Italy :@

haha, how "mint" was it?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

or you might as well buy a cheap USB sound card (it hardly deserves being called a soundcard though)) and DJ with Traktor.

I got one of these for $10 when after I bought a UC-33. The quality is low of course, but it does the job

I wouldn't dj without doing some mixing at least. Fair enough, you don't need to mix old soul, funk and raggae but you will need 2 decks to be able to bring your next tune up as the old one ends. Some tunes have long fades and the dead air will kill your floor.
    Good luck mate, I dj'd for a mates wedding in the south of France and it was off the chain! Be ready to accept or be prepared to reject loads of requests!
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 05-22-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

PS - have you got the first dance sorted?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud