Faulty Timecode Vinyl?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Faulty Timecode Vinyl?

Greetings!

When i first started getting this issue about 2 weeks after i bought traktor i thought it was a latency issue, im now thinking that it could possibly be faulty time coded vinyl.

The problem is that during a mix the track skips 1 bar ahead sometimes. when it does happen i can rewind the track and it happens again in the same spot on the record, but the record seems to be in perfect condition..

I have turned off the wifi, checked my latency, and turned off the duelcore cpu. cpu is at least half way at all times.

I was thinking about recording a video of this happening to help to get a better diagnosis.

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated, let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks!

Edit: A video of the skip in action from table view and computer view. sorry for the poor quality vid!
    Last edited by junglistbrian; 05-20-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Setup
    Dell Inspiron 1501, Behringer DM4000 Mixer, Technic 1200, Stanton T.80, Traktor Pro 2 with Audio 6

Try your setup with timecode cd's (you can download it if you don't have the cd's).
    If the same problem occurs then the problem is in the program, if not then you have faulty timecode vinyl.

Ps. do you have the same problem with both your vinyls ?
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

MK1 or MK2 timecode?
    And it's always at the same spot on the record... Spinning it on both decks? How about the flip side of the record? Swapped needles/carts?
    What does the scope look like when it skips? Take a really good look at the record itself. There might be some kind of scratch, or a hint of junk stuck in the groove. If it's always in the same spot I'm not sure it's just a dirty needle, but it doesn't hurt to clean em'up. I had a nasty glitch while test driving my mk2 records at a significant gig the other day... at first I assumed it was the really obvious dust on the needles, but back home, it turned up to be some crap stuck into the record (lots of drinks flying around that night...).

What you can do as well is make a little recording of the faulty area on the timecode signal and post the file up here (30 seconds oughta be good). Someone else here can play it through their traktor and see if the playback jumps for them too (I'd do it). Over at the NI forum, the developer in charge of timecode decoding often asks for samples in such cases so he can take a proper look. We can try and reproduce the glitch, we won't be able to fix it, but it can help rule out an issue in your particular software.

Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    MK1 or MK2 timecode?
    And it's always at the same spot on the record... Spinning it on both decks? How about the flip side of the record? Swapped needles/carts?
    What does the scope look like when it skips? Take a really good look at the record itself. There might be some kind of scratch, or a hint of junk stuck in the groove. If it's always in the same spot I'm not sure it's just a dirty needle, but it doesn't hurt to clean em'up. I had a nasty glitch while test driving my mk2 records at a significant gig the other day... at first I assumed it was the really obvious dust on the needles, but back home, it turned up to be some crap stuck into the record (lots of drinks flying around that night...).

What you can do as well is make a little recording of the faulty area on the timecode signal and post the file up here (30 seconds oughta be good). Someone else here can play it through their traktor and see if the playback jumps for them too (I'd do it). Over at the NI forum, the developer in charge of timecode decoding often asks for samples in such cases so he can take a proper look. We can try and reproduce the glitch, we won't be able to fix it, but it can help rule out an issue in your particular software.
    Thanks alot the replied fellas.

I am using MK2 vinyl, and yes it happens on the flip sides with both vinyl. in the same spots! hehe. Kind of amazing to me that
    both vinyls on both sides would be defective thats what made me look into it being a latency problem or something at first.

I have swapped needles and that didnt work either, all though my needles are pretty old and warn so that could be the problem but one would think it would just skip all the time if that were the case, im not sure tho. The records do not seem to have any build up, they are only a month old and have never left my studio.

I am going to try to get an example posted up today if i get the time.

I just wanted to note that i do not have cdjs to try out the cds but i do use normal vinyl as well and never have skipping issues so it has to be the time coded vinyl or the software or my pc... lol..
    Setup
    Dell Inspiron 1501, Behringer DM4000 Mixer, Technic 1200, Stanton T.80, Traktor Pro 2 with Audio 6

Tech Guru

Is it only with one track or with all tracks?

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    Is it only with one track or with all tracks?
    All tracks.
    Setup

Maybe your tone arm is dirty/botched, so it jumps every time it gets to this point on any vinyl.
    If you have a good eye and a good source of light at the right angle i'm pretty sure you could spot a defect on the vinyl itself.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Quote Originally Posted by oneapemob View Post
    Maybe your tone arm is dirty/botched, so it jumps every time it gets to this point on any vinyl.
    If you have a good eye and a good source of light at the right angle i'm pretty sure you could spot a defect on the vinyl itself.
    Yeah i was thinking the tone arm on my tech might be done for, im going to replace it soon, but i dont think that is causing the problem this time since it does not happen with normal vinyl.

I am starting to think that my laptop just isnt right for it, perhaps one of you could take a look at this link and let me know how underpowered i am. iv seen the specs for traktor and i dont think im that far off.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...html/specs.htm
    Setup

I would rule out needles, TT's 'n stuff because regular vinyl works.
    Same goes for software & laptop, just 1 point (and same point) every time ? (should occur on different moments).

The two side story is strange, do you have some MKI vinyl to double check ?
    If not, try that vinyl at a friend or store to rule out the other options.

Good luck, I hope it's faulty vinyl.

Ps. hard to say about you LT (no nfo on state of OS, bloatware, % free space, how much RAM does it runs, ...)
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

2 gig ram max, thats what i have now. Im pretty sure there are some things that i should be closing.
    nothing huge tho.

Video evidence!
    Setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast