Gig Decisions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gig Decisions

first of all thanks for everyone for replying. It's really helpful, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    and theres a possibility you'll become known for the fact that you do make the crowd go apeshit, but with your own flavour!
    I feel as if I kind of tried that -- serving up tupac, outkast, odd future ect as my kind of more quirky hip hop bangers to get people into the set. Hell, I even played Area Codes by Ludacris, expecting to see the crowd go wild but no beans.

Still considering here, but Ive been swung more in the option that I play at the next party and play mainstream. any more input is mucho appreciated!

Tech Mentor

You have to love what you do and realize that you are there for the crowd, the crowd is not there for you. For instance, I am not a trance DJ, I am not a country DJ, if I am presented with a gig that wants a trance DJ or a gig that wants a country DJ I am not going to take the gig. I can be the best House DJ but if the crowd wants country, and I play the best House set ever created, the crowd will think I sucked. It sounds like you had a good time because you were happy to make the crowd happy. You have to ask yourself if this is the type of music you will be happy playing because the DJ is there for the crowd.

Tech Wizard

As a mobile DJ I cover lots of different events, and lots of different crowds (I really loathe mothers of the bride sometimes). I am required to keep my customers happy. There is lots of music I would love to play each night that I can't. What the crowd wants, the crowd get's.

I wish I was a cool club DJ (did a club or two back in the day), but the reality is, I'm not. It is a job, and I do enjoy doing it.
    I don't do much beat matching, scratching, effects, or any crazy stuff. I do lots of spinning current and past hits, and trying to keep the crowd happy, drinking and dancing.

Maybe that makes me more of a music jockey, and some will call it being a sell out. But it is my job, and what I am paid to do.

Question to the OP - were you honestly surprised when you played some new 'booty poppin shit' that the crowd went crazy?

I agree with what Matt Blaze said 100%.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12