Switching to Serato?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Switching to Serato?

Hey peeps,

So I'm getting deeper and deeper into the DJ rabbit hole and I am seriously reconsidering my options.

I just got a residency at the hottest club on campus + about to drop a load of cash on speakers to DJ private events and I can't afford to have an unstable setup.

My traktor pro has crashed up to 7 times in one gig (yes ive tweaked) and today was the first time I didnt have to restart my laptop during a gig (thank god) but sound did periodically cut out for half a second during some songs.

No offense but I'm starting to feel like my setup is a collection of toys rather than a legit DJ setup.

For example: In my setup I can't tell if I'm clipping. I have no meter except for the little indicator on the top of TP that flags red. Shouldn't I have more control over my music though?

Back when I knew less I thought I would be okay with a VCI 100 and Audiofire 4 but now I'm realizing all the little things that make a DJ's job (making a smooth mix) possible that is causing me to reconsider my setup.

So now that my rant is over can yall tell me why I shouldn't switch to:
    Serato
    Ecler Nuo 2
    (2x) Pioneer CDJ 400

ps.

Setup: Laptop, Traktor Pro, VCI100SE, Audiofire 4
    Windows XP Ultimate by Johnny, Service Pack 3
    Intel Pentium M, 1.6GHz, 2Gigs Ram
    http://www.myspace.com/djczo

Quote Originally Posted by ceezo66 View Post
    Hey peeps,

So I'm getting deeper and deeper into the DJ rabbit hole and I am seriously reconsidering my options.

I just got a residency at the hottest club on campus + about to drop a load of cash on speakers to DJ private events and I can't afford to have an unstable setup.

My traktor pro has crashed up to 7 times in one gig (yes ive tweaked) and today was the first time I didnt have to restart my laptop during a gig (thank god) but sound did periodically cut out for half a second during some songs.

No offense but I'm starting to feel like my setup is a collection of toys rather than a legit DJ setup.

For example: In my setup I can't tell if I'm clipping. I have no meter except for the little indicator on the top of TP that flags red. Shouldn't I have more control over my music though?

Back when I knew less I thought I would be okay with a VCI 100 and Audiofire 4 but now I'm realizing all the little things that make a DJ's job (making a smooth mix) possible that is causing me to reconsider my setup.

So now that my rant is over can yall tell me why I shouldn't switch to:
    Serato
    Ecler Nuo 2
    (2x) Pioneer CDJ 400
    seems you are having problems with your computer, is it optimized yet for audio applications?! about the "clipping" - isnīt there a limiter inside of traktor to avoid this problem...my advice would be to tweak your system to the optimum before switching, just to make sure you did the right choice.

wich os are you using?

windows xp ultimate by johnny service pack 3

I'm not sure about the limiter but I know traktor also has autogain which isn't very good in my experience.

ps.

Setup: Laptop, Traktor Pro, VCI100SE, Audiofire 4
    Windows XP Ultimate by Johnny, Service Pack 3
    Intel Pentium M, 1.6GHz, 2Gigs Ram
    http://www.myspace.com/djczo

ok, i didnīt see this you are having a similar setup to mine (1.6ghz/2gig) except i am using service pack 2..!

maybe recheck your optimizations (ultimate by johnny?!) with this tutorial:

http://audioforums.com/windows-xp-optimization.php

also maybe do a test, if your system is good enough to handle a tight latency...you can do a check about how your system is handling realtime audio streaming with this program:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

other than that it could also be a driver conflict problem or something with the power management of your usb ports...do you allways use the same port for the soundcard or are there other devices you plug in there, too?

hope that helped you out a little ...

compact
    Last edited by compact; 05-21-2009 at 05:03 AM.

ps. What optimizations are you talking about? I followed the tweaks in the manual and the thread on this forum.

windows xp ultimate by johnny service pack 3

I'm not sure about the limiter but I know traktor also has autogain which isn't very good in my experience.
    ok, i donīt mean the auto gain (if it doesnīt work for you, just leave it off, you can adjust the gain using the vciīs) i have to take a look at traktor, wich i only have the demo...just give me few secīs...

ps. What optimizations are you talking about? I followed the tweaks in the manual and the thread on this forum.
    i am talking about setting up your system for realtime audio streaming...the tutorials should be good on this site

just take a look at this guide and make sure you have everything set up right:

http://audioforums.com/windows-xp-optimization.php

also do a latency check with the dpc checker, the link i have postet above.

kind regards.

Quote Originally Posted by compact View Post
    ok, i donīt mean the auto gain (if it doesnīt work for you, just leave it off, you can adjust the gain using the vciīs) i have to take a look at traktor, wich i only have the demo...just give me few secīs...
    preferences>mixer>level

set autogain when loading track off

enable master limiter on

Whats this ultimate xp by Johhny ? Who's Johhny ? is he better at making an OS than Billy ? (Billy gates)

Tell me more
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast