Clipping & Line Levels - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Ah yeah, I totally forgot about the Xone mixers. I rarely see one of those..
    Yes, for some convoluted reason they treat their DJ mixer volume control as if it was a regular mixing desk. Pretty darn weird if you ask me..
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    No, the built-in limiter function of Traktor is a bit wonky and will pull your sound out of proportion to the bassy side. I prefer to have the master set to -10dB and not use auto-gain. Just keep using your head and not let it clip. You can check out the output in the middle on the top. Don't let it go blinking RED.

And I don't know who told you not to go 100% with your faders, but that seems quite useless and I see no reason to do something like that.

Only when I play two tracks at the same time, I have both faders @ 80% because combined they sound pretty loud.

And I don't know why someone would say that you'd have to put Pioneer mixers in the red do get decent sound because that's special olympics retarted. Seriously. If you have ANY knowledge about mixers and how they work, you really wouldn't say that.
    So you keep your channel faders at a lower point. What's goal of not putting them at the max ? Is it just because it this too loud ?
    So why not decrease the volume level on the speakers and put the channel faders at 100 % ?
    However if I'm right doing how you are doing allow you to have some headroom if you want to increase the volume of a quiet track no ?
    Thank you for yours answers

Tech Wizard

I have some troubles with the following example let me explain to you :
    I drop a song which starts by a breakdown. The gain will not be a the same level than the other song because the other one is not really in a breakdown.
    The problem is that I want to make it heared a bit more so I increase the gain to reach the same level of the first one. However when the basses kick in, it is now too loud so I need to decrease the gain back and fastly.
    What would you recommand me to do ? Do like this or maybe increase the EQ and then decrease them when the bass kick in ?

Also when you want to set the gain level to the first track how do you ?
    As a gain basis to work with or to set to the first track level, do you use the gain of the instant when you mix the second track in ?
    Or do look for the loudest part of the song and use this moment gain as a basis to set the gain vene if it is not at that moment of the track that you will use for your mix ?

I hope it was not so complicated ;-)
    Thank you a lot guys
    Jérôme

Quote Originally Posted by jmastio View Post
    So you keep your channel faders at a lower point. What's goal of not putting them at the max ? Is it just because it this too loud ?
    So why not decrease the volume level on the speakers and put the channel faders at 100 % ?
    However if I'm right doing how you are doing allow you to have some headroom if you want to increase the volume of a quiet track no ?
    Thank you for yours answers
    My personal reason for that would be two at once is too loud. However likely one track by itself will be at 100%, this is to even out the entire mix.

Tech Wizard

So you keep one fader at 100 % and the other one at a lower position ?
    If it's like this, it sounds strange to me because the songs will not be at the same level no ?
    I'm still fighting with all these gains and volume settings and how to manage with the gain adjustments
    Thank you
    Jérôme

Tech Wizard

Sorry guys for reposting these questions if you have any answers or few informations / knowledge I will greatly appreciate.

I have some troubles with the following example let me explain to you :
    I drop a song which starts by a breakdown. The gain will not be a the same level than the other song because the other one is not really in a breakdown.
    The problem is that I want to make it heared a bit more so I increase the gain to reach the same level of the first one. However when the basses kick in, it is now too loud so I need to decrease the gain back and fastly.
    What would you recommand me to do ? Do like this or maybe increase the EQ and then decrease them when the bass kick in ?

Also when you want to set the gain level to the first track how do you ?
    As a gain basis to work with or to set to the first track level, do you use the gain of the instant when you mix the second track in ?
    Or do look for the loudest part of the song and use this moment gain as a basis to set the gain vene if it is not at that moment of the track that you will use for your mix ?

I hope it was not so complicated ;-)
    Thank you a lot guys
    Jérôme

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345