What would you rather listen to, a mix or a podcast?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you rather listen to, a mix or a podcast?

What would you rather listen to?

So i've been asked by some dj friends to create a podcast for them to put on there website
    However before i gave them one i did my own for my sound-cloud page to see what reaction i got.

What would you rather listen to?

A mix?

or a podcast?

Soundcloud sounds!
    Twits and tweets!

Banned

Never seen a podcast on sound cloud, but i take a lot of time and listen to both.

I downloaded every podcast that above and beyond put out. They are 2 hour long sets each.

And i listen to a lot of mixes on sound cloud. Pretty even for me.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

So is the only difference is the podcast is downloadable? I prefer to download and listen at my convenience and not have to sit at the computer to listen to it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Yeah, what's the difference exactly? A podcast is usually a 60min mix from my experience (with some exceptions depending on who you're doing it for). And a mix is, well, a mix.

Not sure what you're getting at here

generally, I prefer a radio style, what you call podcast. But you need some skills on a microphone, of course.
    Find the "My name is Tiga" podcast on itunes for some inspiration.

Tech Wizard

podcast

If by podcast you mean a DJ playing tracks and talking about why they're awesome……I think anyone who does them should be shot. Not fatally…something like in the leg above the knee so it hurts like hell but they'll still be able to walk afterwards…unless you miss and hit an artery…and then, well…tough.

DJs shouldn't have microphones. It never goes well. You want someone to hype the crowd up, hire a hype MC. You want to promote music in a podcast, provide a track list with links to beatport/juno/whatever. You want to talk to hear yourself talk, fine…but that's a completely different style of DJing that I–personally–find absolutely no value in whatsoever. Max I accept 30 seconds of introduction.

Hell, when DJs talk on the radio, I change the station. They're literally commercials for a product (the radio station) that I'm already consuming and don't think is worth paying for (which is why I also change the station when commercials come on). When it takes me more than 30 seconds to find actual music on the radio, I plug in my iPod. I bought my first iPod just to use in the car.

I spent like $350 to avoid that shit…and kept doing it when I upgraded to another iPod, then a motorola that had iTunes…then 3 successive iPhones…why would I go out of my way to find people talking about music? You're already playing it…either you like it or the people pulling your strings do. Just shut up and let the music talk for itself……if it can't sell itself, you have shitty taste and shouldn't be a DJ.

Sorry. That was a bit of a rant. But I really hate DJs who talk and kinda wish that podcasts like that had never been invented.

So, in answer to your question…I'd only listen to a mix.

I don't mind when listening to internet radio when someone announces a track, I find it helpful. But in mixes and podcasts, I would rather just have the music play, unless there is something interesting like an interview with a producer or some such before or after a guest mix.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    If by podcast you mean a DJ playing tracks and talking about why they're awesome……I think anyone who does them should be shot. Not fatally…something like in the leg above the knee so it hurts like hell but they'll still be able to walk afterwards…unless you miss and hit an artery…and then, well…tough.

DJs shouldn't have microphones. It never goes well. You want someone to hype the crowd up, hire a hype MC. You want to promote music in a podcast, provide a track list with links to beatport/juno/whatever. You want to talk to hear yourself talk, fine…but that's a completely different style of DJing that I–personally–find absolutely no value in whatsoever. Max I accept 30 seconds of introduction.

Hell, when DJs talk on the radio, I change the station. They're literally commercials for a product (the radio station) that I'm already consuming and don't think is worth paying for (which is why I also change the station when commercials come on). When it takes me more than 30 seconds to find actual music on the radio, I plug in my iPod. I bought my first iPod just to use in the car.

I spent like $350 to avoid that shit…and kept doing it when I upgraded to another iPod, then a motorola that had iTunes…then 3 successive iPhones…why would I go out of my way to find people talking about music? You're already playing it…either you like it or the people pulling your strings do. Just shut up and let the music talk for itself……if it can't sell itself, you have shitty taste and shouldn't be a DJ.

Sorry. That was a bit of a rant. But I really hate DJs who talk and kinda wish that podcasts like that had never been invented.

So, in answer to your question…I'd only listen to a mix.
    Oh you are going to LOVE me soon.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

there is a Gog lover on here goes by the name DJKeeWee and if you hear any of his broadcasts. then he can really work a mic. that being said, I guess it depends on the genre and the atmosphere eg. live is fine, but a mixtape may be a little odd. a little humour and the right talk on a mic can really grab the crowd. Plus its all part of the entertainment.

In relation to the OP's question. definitely a podcast (mixtape) for me. being able to download and put on the ipod for teh car or a jog is what i prefer over sitting at a computer listening plus knowing one or two people may download and listen on their travels is a good thing also.
    Last edited by Zaniac; 05-25-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast