Beatmasher response on various controllers

Default Beatmasher response on various controllers

Hey all,

I'm noticing something kind of weird and have no idea how to make sense of it. Basically, what's going on is that I'm seeing that the response to the Beatmasher in Traktor is different between controllers. On my MIDI Fighter Pro, the response is almost instantaneous and awesome. On my Classic and 3D, it's almost just as instantaneous but just a tad less snappy. On all other controllers that I've played with (Launchpad, Trigger Finger, Oxygen8) the response is not so great. There's an obvious delay that I'd guess is around 100ms where you press and hold and it feels like you're waiting for the sample to get buffered and repeated.

Has anyone else noticed this difference between controllers or am I on drugs and imagining all this? I mean, yeah, it's great that the MF's perform great. Not so much when using other controllers though.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

more than this ive noticed that if my timing is a little off that the beatmasher seems laggy.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

I don't think timing has anything to do with this because I notice this even if I'm just mashing buttons to test this theory.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Arcade buttons do have a faster response but clearly not that big. Did you do all your tests in the same system with the same settings?

I didn't do my test with the same settings (mappings), but I found out what the was causing the different responses between my controller mappings. The problem was how I was mapping the FX as compared to how DJTT did in their mappings. Turns out if you have a button that turns on both the FX Unit AND the Effect X, you'll experience the delay that I reported. If the FX Unit is already on and you just trigger Effect X, it'll happen pretty much instantly. This sounds like an obvious explanation, it just never occurred to me. Now that I've readjusted the mappings for my various controllers, everything is all nice and snappy. Booyah!

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by No Left Turn View Post
    There's an obvious delay that I'd guess is around 100ms where you press and hold and it feels like you're waiting for the sample to get buffered and repeated.

Has anyone else noticed this difference between controllers or am I on drugs and imagining all this? I mean, yeah, it's great that the MF's perform great. Not so much when using other controllers though.
    Yes to everything! I had a similar prob between the MPK mini and the APC 20 but my solution was to up the master clock BPM. If its below 50 the beatmasher sounds horrible.

P.S. Top left corner [click the metronome looking box], with master selected, double click on bpm and set to 128 or what evs
    Last edited by padi_04; 09-03-2012 at 04:58 PM.