VCI-400 Compatibiltiy
    Tech Student

Cool VCI-400 Compatibiltiy

Greetings to the DJTT forum

I was seconds away from ordering the truly amazing vci-400 when something inside the user manual caught my eye.

I have a AMD Athlon machine, that I intended to use with the vci-400.

Am I right in thinking that the vci-400 is not compatible with my computer.

Sorry for the question, but I want to make sure my money is well spent.

Many Thanks

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by mgarland View Post
    Greetings to the DJTT forum

I was seconds away from ordering the truly amazing vci-400 when something inside the user manual caught my eye.

I have a AMD Athlon machine, that I intended to use with the vci-400.

Am I right in thinking that the vci-400 is not compatible with my computer.

Sorry for the question, but I want to make sure my money is well spent.

Many Thanks
    as far as I know: yes it is a problem (in most cases). Just a little knowledge about CPUs: Intel and AMD processors use different instruction sets to compute different types of data operations. So if the instruction set that the device uses for communication or data operations is not included you'll definitively get errors.

If you say computer, do you mean a tower computer? If so, buy another mainboard with an Intel CPU socket and an Intel CPU, of course. Intel is way better, because they've got more efficient CPUs since they need less power for the same performance of an equivalent AMD. Even the latest AMD hexa-core can't compete with the latest Intel quad-core. So you get better results and save some power... and therefore money you would spend for power bills, which you could use to buy the VCI-400 ;-)

Tech Student

Thank You for your response

I think this will be a good idea in the long run to invest in an Intel chip.

I took the plunge to buy a vci 400 and had a few little issues with my AMD processor. Luckily, after a bit of research, I updated the firmware, and the CPU usage has vastly improved. I will see how it goes for the next few weeks.

Be interested to know if anyone else has had any reported problems with AMD.

Thanks again!