torrents keeping music alive (sensible descusssion please)
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default torrents keeping music alive (sensible descusssion please)

I like to mix in alot of old tracks and have a broad music rang in my song selection. However the main stream sources do not offer a portal for high quality older music! With EDM there are a few choices mainly beatport.

There are private torrent sites with huge selections of tracks, that are only high quality and there is no bad transcoding there. Why is there no legal alternatives it seems for getting a huge range of top quality music from artists popular and not so popular. Even artists like kool and the gangs early stuff is not availible though legal channels.

I am no longer a member of any sites like this since oink got taken down, however my big gripe is having to still buy music on vinyl in 2012. I love collecting my vinyl but in this day and age I should be able to get music legally without going down this channel.

Please do not talk about any specific places to get copywrited material, as it would be nice to discuss this without the mods having to close this thread down

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    Even artists like kool and the gangs early stuff is not availible though legal channels.
    Erm, yes it is, as you've pointed out - go digging for old vinyl ...

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    I love collecting my vinyl but in this day and age I should be able to get music legally without going down this channel.
    If you love it, why are you complaining that you have to do it? Why shouldn't you have to go down this channel?

Sorry, I'm completely anti torrenting for music. If you want it that badly and its not available digitally, buy the CD, if not the vinyl ...

<e2a>none of this is a personal dig by the way ...</e2a>
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

It is available, just not as easily or cheaply as through a torrent
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I usually regret getting involved in these discussions, but anyway...

Yes you may be able to hunt down some rare used vinyl on discogs or from some other obscure source, but in the end does it it really make a difference if you pirate it? It's not like buying someone's 20 year old secondhand vinyl is supporting the artist directly in any way (except maybe in some philosophical sense). Honestly at that point, isn't just getting that track played and heard support enough and more than anyone could hope for?

tbh, I love the feeling when you *finally* find a 12" that isn't available any other way and that you've wanted for ages ...

(yes Das EFX / Jussamen (Pete Rock Remix) I'm looking at you)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I usually regret getting involved in these discussions, but anyway...

Yes you may be able to hunt down some rare used vinyl on discogs or from some other obscure source, but in the end does it it really make a difference if you pirate it? It's not like buying someone's 20 year old secondhand vinyl is supporting the artist directly in any way (except maybe in some philosophical sense). Honestly at that point, isn't just getting that track played and heard support enough and more than anyone could hope for?
    I tend to be quite hard over on this, as it starts becoming too easy to justify torrenting ("oh, it's not available to buy digitally" could quite easily turn into "oh it's not available as 'insert obscure filetype and birate here'").

Each to his own mind ...

I just feel like there is such a pretense and double standard on copyright in the DJ community. On the one hand there is this absolute that we should never torrent or download a single song under any circumstance, yet none of us would think twice about uploading an hour and a half DJ mix of other people's music to soundcloud (and offering free download) or downloading a 2 hour set from any number of DJs.

No one seems to have a problem with making and uploading mashups or making an edit or bootleg of a track with minor tweaks like an extended intro or looped section then slapping our name on it next to the artist and uploading it and offering it for free for anyone to download. Yet people freak out at the thought of downloading a track under various circumstances. Why is one form of piracy and copyright infringement ok with everyone yet the other is not even open for discussion with a lot of people?
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 05-25-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    No one seem has a problem with making and uploading mashups or making an edit or bootleg of a track with minor tweaks like an extended intro or looped section then slapping our name on it next to the artist and uploading it and offering it for free for anyone to download. Yet people freak out at the thought of downloading a track under various circumstances. Why is one form of piracy and copyright infringement ok with everyone yet the other is not even open for discussion with a lot of people?
    Incredible insight Xone. I never thought of it that way....gotta think on this now
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

My particular stance on this is that while I support artists (being one myself), I have to agree with Xonetacular.

While I can be seen at any one of Detroit's record stores digging, the feeling of finding that (seemingly) one in a million gem, is just too few and far in between. My focus has shifted to collecting (what was until the Internet) the almost impossible to find.

Digging for the sake of digging is not (to me), an effective use of my time anymore..(kids, job, house stuff).

Will buying "Jimmy Castor Bunch's It's Just Begun" on eBay give you that feeling... for that matter will Jimmy's estate get his share of the sale?

This is a thread is a train wreck waiting to happen. As Xonetacular stated, there's a double standard at play here.

Quote Originally Posted by erotic View Post
    I only use torrent. I don't pay 1.99 for one track on beatport. i just get them for free.
    fo real? that´s all you got to say in your first post?
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast