CDJ's and Turbtables
    Tech Wizard

Default CDJ's and Turbtables

Hey there DJTT community,

You guys have helped me out quite alot when I had questions related to setups.... Okay basically I have been DJing since several years now and have had quite alot of gigs.
    My setup is:

Behringer DDM 4000 (external in Traktor)
    2x CDJ 400 Midi on
    Traktor Pro on
    MacBook Pro

I have the two CDJ's set up as a aggregate device in mac so that I can avoid a souncard for Traktor.

Okay basically my question IS: Can I simply hook up a third deck (a real turntable in this case) and get that on Trakor through the CDJ soundcards or do I actually have to buy a Audio 6 and over? ( i have a audio 2 lieng around if that helps, but it doesnt have timecode control).

And what turntables are decent for Traktor use?

Nico!

Tech Wizard

if you want to go timecode then you need an A6 or A10.

as far as turntables go, most of the people on here will steer you towards used technics. there are no turntables that will work better than others as far as traktor is concerned but not all turntables are created equal.

I often tell people to stay away from used Technics...unless you know exactly where they've been and what they've been through. If the tables are 20 years old and you're the 4+ owner, there's no telling what will go wrong.

Screw the hype and nostalgia...I've seen more janky pairs of 1200s than I can count and they are expensive to repair because most of the things that go bad are not user replaceable.

Whereas most modern high-end turntables (Numark TTX, Vestax PDX, Stanton 150s) are designed to easily swap out parts. Have a bent tonearm, bad RCA cable, or ground wire...no problem.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by coolout View Post
    I often tell people to stay away from used Technics...unless you know exactly where they've been and what they've been through. If the tables are 20 years old and you're the 4+ owner, there's no telling what will go wrong.

Screw the hype and nostalgia...I've seen more janky pairs of 1200s than I can count and they are expensive to repair because most of the things that go bad are not user replaceable.
    Maybe so, but on a similar note to a thread I just started, good luck years down the road. Tech's have been run through the ringer and survived years and years of club abuse. Not even one of the others you mentioned can boast that.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Maybe so, but on a similar note to a thread I just started, good luck years down the road. Tech's have been run through the ringer and survived years and years of club abuse. Not even one of the others you mentioned can boast that.
    I can only speak from experience.

I've seen plenty...I dare say 3 (or 4) out of 10 Tech 1200s that HAVEN'T survived club abuse. On the other hand I've been using the same pair of Vestax PDX 2000s nearly every weekend for about 5 or 6 years. So there you go. Buyer beware is all I'm sayin'.

I've also done a couple guest spots on cruise ships...this year and last year. They had Stanton 150s all over the ship. I mean some of them were basically on the top decks of the ship...sometimes outdoors in the wind, rain, and dust. I played on the Stantons everyday for 3 weeks to a month at a time. SOLID, SOLID decks...probably the best I've ever used. Basically it's an OEM turntable based on the Tech 1200s but with updated and improved specs. It all happened with the Technics patent ran out.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

Back to the main question in point, OP, what are you trying to do with the TT? Use real vinyl or timecode? If it's real vinyl then just plug it into the mixer, but if you want to use timecode you'll need at least an audio 6.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Thanks alot for your help guys! I just have one more question? Is it possible for me to hook up two CDJ's to Traktor per USB and then have the Audio 6 to connect a third deck in this case a Stanton T62?

Nico

Tech Wizard

Yeah Timecode via Traktor

Yes, it is.