200 Guest Private Party - Live Audio Advice?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default 200 Guest Private Party - Live Audio Advice?!

Hello everyone,

I've been hired as a DJ for a 200 person party in a space that is about 50ft x 100ft with a approx. 15ft ceiling. I'm mainly a producer so I don't own equipment for live sounds (e.g. speakers, microphone, etc.). What I'll be bringing is headphones, laptop, and a Kontrol S4. Basically, I'm trying to get a solid sound setup similar to what they would have in typical clubs (e.g. Amnesia, Space).

As of now, I have placed a rental on a subwoofer (Yorkville LS801P), 2 mid sized speakers (Yorkville NX55's I believe), and 2 monitors.

So my questions are:

How should the speakers/subwoofer be placed? Should they create an equilateral triangle with the dancefloor like a studio? Where should the subwoofer be (I've had problems with putting the subwoofer near the DJ booth because it makes it extremely difficult to hear)?

Any tips concerning that actual sound? Is there some sort of guideline I should be following for making sure everything is balanced (e.g. EQing)?

Possibly more questions to come, thanks!

P.S. My S4 will be going through a mixer before the speakers.

You should rephrase your question, mate.

Amnesia and Space ARE NOT 50ft x 100ft venues.

The sub placement shouldn't be a problem - as long as it doesn't cause unwanted vibration (if you're using TT's) you should be alright. The human ear can't really tell where bass sounds are coming from...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I'm no pa guru, but have heard the sub should be against a wall or in a corner on the floor, if possible. The tops should be at least 25ft apart, if possible, and slightly above head level.

No expert - but i do know you can amplify your speakers a bit by putting them in a corner of the room.

My advice would show up early if possible and just test it out a bit moving stuff around.
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

Tech Mentor

The last Graduation Party i DJed, i had the Speakers setup up like:

[-----Back-----Of-----Room-----]

(Speaker) [DJ Table] (Speaker)
    ..................(Sub)...................

people people people people
    peoplepeoplepeoplepeopl
    peoplepeoplepeoplepeople
    peoplepeopleoplepeople
    peoploepeoplepeopleppel

(Speaker).................(Speaker)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by aarondavid View Post
    The last Graduation Party i DJed, i had the Speakers setup up like:

[-----Back-----Of-----Room-----]

(Speaker) [DJ Table] (Speaker)
    ..................(Sub)...................

people people people people
    peoplepeoplepeoplepeopl
    peoplepeoplepeoplepeople
    peoplepeopleoplepeople
    peoploepeoplepeopleppel

(Speaker).................(Speaker)
    Maybe a bit drunk... but I found this to be epic..
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by 00DJC View Post
    No expert - but i do know you can amplify your speakers a bit by putting them in a corner of the room
    I am an expert - placing the subwoofer in the corner is a common technique if you are lacking in bottom end, no sense in getting into the theory but what you are trying to do is get the room modes in phase with the source to reinforce the bottom end, play around with the distance from the wall and see if there is a change in output.

The construction of the wall plays a role as well, a dense and sturdy wall like an exterior works better than an interior wall that is not so rigid.

Of course, if you have enough rig you don't need to employ such tactics, the LS801P is IME not enough rig unless you are running at lower volumes. Two would be adequate, something with some real power (EV, JBL PRX or VRX, etc) would be even better.

Edit: Have to add, don't corner load the tops, you are only going to reinforce the wrong frequencies, requiring eq to correct...

Rotebass said everything I was going to say with the exception of leaving QSC, which I find better than the brands he listed. If you want club sound, you need to at least get one more sub if you are going to have 4 tops cranking out high end.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Rotebass said everything I was going to say with the exception of leaving QSC, which I find better than the brands he listed. If you want club sound, you need to at least get one more sub if you are going to have 4 tops cranking out high end.
    Too each his own mate

Tech Convert

Well, it's a fairly small venue but from what I've read, I think you've misinterpreted me. I'm using 2 speakers that will be facing the audience and 2 monitors that will be facing me. But your saying that if I want a club sound, I should consider getting 4 speakers facing the crowd as suggested by aarondavid and 2 subs?

EDIT: The dancefloor is probably max 20ft x 50ft anyways, the rest is just chill out area.
    Last edited by box801; 05-26-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast