What happened to ingenuity?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What happened to ingenuity?

Sort of a rant here...

What happened to ingenuity? I see a lot of posts on here with kids asking what seem to be somewhat crazy questions. An example that I keep seeing reoccur is people asking how to hook up speakers. Now granted, I understand certain pro-audio applications can get a little out of the ordinary, but c'mon man!
    I remember as a kid, I used to jury rig just about anything and everything. If there was an electronic piece of equipment I wanted to use, short of hacking it apart (which is by no means unheard of), I always was able to figure out how to get things to work. Not just me either, but just about everyone one I ever knew could accomplish what always seemed to me like pretty simple stuff. Asking how something as simple as a speaker hooks up is the old school equivalent to me of your mom or grandma asking you to set the clock on the VCR back in the day. C'MON KIDS! GET ON YOUR GAME!!!

...back in my day, we used to walk fifteen miles to get to the hardware store to connect our speakers, we didn't have these fancy electronic stores that have insulated cable, we used barbed wire instead!

kids eat some concrete and harden the f@#k up!

All jokes aside it's pretty shocking that they

a) can't be bothered looking for an answer
    b) don't try and figure stuff out the old fashion way... trial and error

Everyone want's to have their voice heard so I understand duplicate topics, but the "my headphones aren't working" is getting really old considering how easy it is to set up and the amount of similar threads on djing forums.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

its the google syndrome i'm afraid.....the attitude is why try and figure something out when can jus 'google it'
    bit worrying with regard to learning I think cos you dont have to work to find something out and imo your probably less likely to remember it

Just to clarify... this is in no way bitching about threads/duplicate threads/not searching the forums. I say go for it whatever you are asking around here. I'm just confused as to how people are asking about what seems to be such remedial problems.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

A lot of people are not interested in how it works or why, it doesn't they just want it to work. It's the information age after all. Personally, I only ask something after I've tried every posible solution that crosses my mind.

Tech Mentor

I think to a certain extent that it is ok to ask, aslong as they add pictures/details/how it happened...etc...

None of this "wahhh my speaker broke" and hoping for someone to fix it

Those cabling questions always confuse the hell out of me. What is not to be understood. There are inputs and outputs. Both have their function in their names. When people aren't able to figure that stuff out themselves, what are they actually able to do?
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Sos my music won't play, please help?!!!!!!!!!!!

... Hey we can't use all capitals in posts ? just pretend that was in caps
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

lol^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But of course there's more stuff on here which is equally confusing. Why do people record 15min mixes? What is the purpose of that? And to go further: why do they post stuff like that?
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast