Mix CD's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mix CD's

Tech Wizard

Default Mix CD's

Hey everyone! I am going to start handing out mix CD's to promoters and club owners that I know. I have never actually ever performed in a club before, and am really not sure as to how to structure this mix CD. Should it have only one genre? or span across many genres and styles?

Thanks for your help in advance

I would try many genre's too add some variety of flavor.

Mix like you would play out - I mean, it should be representative, eh. Easy as that.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Guru

Really depends on your scene, ive always done many genres - but nowdays find places i want to play have strict policies e.g. entirely techno, entirely dnb.

But if your just handing out randomly, do multiple genres, pick tracks that really represent your tastes and make them work - dont just throw tracks in becausd they mix well.
    Dont forget to track it properly too so they can skip through.

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Mix like you would play out - I mean, it should be representative, eh. Easy as that.
    Words to live by.
    And don't forget to include a nice headshot and a classy way to present your contact info, don't just write it on a napkin at the club or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    Dont forget to track it properly too so they can skip through.
    ^^^ the difference between a professional mixtape these days and just a guy who can mix. Can't say how much it shows when someone has it broken up properly.

Personally my debate has always been Mp3 CD or normal (WAV) audio CD. Because I know a lot of people listen to music in their cars, and not everyone has an Mp3 player in their car.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    ^^^ the difference between a professional mixtape these days and just a guy who can mix. Can't say how much it shows when someone has it broken up properly.

Personally my debate has always been Mp3 CD or normal (WAV) audio CD. Because I know a lot of people listen to music in their cars, and not everyone has an Mp3 player in their car.
    MP3 C.D? Why would you even bother if it's lower quality? anything professionally has to be wav 44k 16bit or above - plus a track marked mp3 c.d, unless done in a certain way, will have small gaps between each track - so I don't even know, or have ever heard anyone even playing with the idea of having an mp3 C.D trackmarked mix.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    MP3 C.D? Why would you even bother if it's lower quality? anything professionally has to be wav 44k 16bit or above - plus a track marked mp3 c.d, unless done in a certain way, will have small gaps between each track - so I don't even know, or have ever heard anyone even playing with the idea of having an mp3 C.D trackmarked mix.
    Most people mix with Mp3's. And by that, I mean saving the mix in format of an Mp3 where you can fit 3-4 mixes onto one CD, rather than a normal audio (.wav) CD, which you can only fit one mix on there usually.

It's just about compression and space. I don't really care to get into the debate about what quality is better or whatnot, because most people are starting out on Mp3's these days anyhow so the point is moot when it comes to converting via recording to .wav quality.

Not saying people should throw Mp3's on a CD and hand it out, but saving the mix as .Mp3 and having more than one on a singular CD.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

Just remember a demo mix is very different than any other mix. Promoters and managers/owners get quite a few of these. You have to try and keep their attention throughout the mix and prove your ability as a DJ very early on in the mix. Talking to promoters and managers I figured out that chances are, even if they like your mix, they prob won't listen to more than 10 min of it. Long drawn out mixes are going to be skipped over. I think demos should be about 15-25 min long, and songs should be mixed in and out fairly quickly. Be sure to somehow grab their attention within the first couple mins. Doesnt mean start off playing peak hour songs, cause that just makes you seem like every other newb. I'm talking about maybe some tricky transition between your first 2 songs, or something that basically just demonstrates your skills as a DJ and shows that this isnt your 1st rodeo.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I'm talking about maybe some tricky transition between your first 2 songs, or something that basically just demonstrates your skills as a DJ and shows that this isnt your 1st rodeo
    Spot on

I think demos should be about 15-25 min long, and songs should be mixed in and out fairly quickly.
    In some genres its next to impossible to do anything within ten mins (progressive house for example) without making a complete dog mess out of it.

plus a track marked mp3 c.d, unless done in a certain way, will have small gaps between each track
    Some CD players / Car Stereos will insert a gap regardless of the format, I have this prob with my DVD player at home and my mates (sony) car system.

Also mix CD's that are broken into multiple tracks bug the hell Outta me as I'd normally rip the mix to iTunes to listen to on my phone/ipod/computer at my leisure... bye bye mix.

A well constructed tracklist should suffice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast