Any interest for a 2 channel VCI-400 type device?
    Tech Student

Default Any interest for a 2 channel VCI-400 type device?

Hello people,

I'm just throwing an idea out there but I was wondering if people would be interested in 2 channel VCI-400 / VCI-380 type device for traktor.

Currently I use Traktor Scratch with an external mixer (vestax PMC-08) and VCI-100 EGE for cues,effects etc but it would be good to have a small all in 1 unit like a VCI-380 for use with traktor scratch when I go out. The PMC-08 is a massive thing to take around with you.

I asked Vestax UK if they had any plans for a 2 channel VCI-400 / VCI-380 type device for all djing software and they said

'We don;t plan on making a specific 2-channel version of the VCI-400. However looking at what you need, I'd suggest as you like the idea of the VCI-380 you could still use that - albeit with a workaround.

If the size and layout of the 380 is what you need, it would be possible to use it with Traktor. It is obviously designed for Serato ITCH, but is still basically just a MIDI controller and mixer/soundcard. Traktor will recognise the unit, and you would be able to use it OK if you created your own mapping (or found one online).'

I just wanted to find out if anyone else was interested in a 2 channel controller with soundcard that would work with Traktor scratch / external inputs as well as traktor on its own?

Eh? What about an S2 or, as they said, map the VCI 380...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Student

The S2 lacks a few things that make DVS really usable such as multiple ins, x fade, line fade control on the device etc.

The 380 looks like the only decent option but as I have zero mapping experience, it could take a while to achieve if I took that route.
    Traktor SP, PMC-08, PDX-2000, VCI-100SE, Macbook

Right... But for Traktor scratch control you need an Audio 4/6/8/10 if the mixer isn't certified.

Any thing you use then will probably only be midi and you will be mixing internally no?

Would a midi crossfader be up to "scratch" (pun intended)?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

The crossfader wouldn't be a problem, i used to use the stock one in the vci-100 to scratch, and it's not as bad as it sounds : you have a curve control on the vci hardware plus traktor's curve control, it make for a real on/off crossfader. If your latency is low there is no problem. Now i have a proxfade inside, and it's as smooth as butter, the only things that are annoying are : no curve control on the volume faders (and i think traktor's line faders curves sucks big time, even for basic mixing), and it's a bit cluttered.

What you gain with scratching with the internal mixer is IMHO : when using external, you have your input latency plus your output latency, then you have the signal in your external mixer, i can really sense the lag when scratching, but mostly from switching between the phono to the dvs, you feel the difference. Now, when you are using internal, you have your input latency, then your internal mixe,r then the output latency, and i feel it's tighter, less lag prone. The difference between, having traktor's decks on scratch control or on external input is really minimal.

Now, i don't really get what you are asking op because the vci 380 IS the vestax vci 400 in a two channels version. It may well have been "invented" for use with serato, but it's a midi controller, you can use it with anything. It looks to be everything you could desire as a vci 100 remplacement. And if you want to cut with it, you can upgrade the crossfader to vestax's digital crossfader, the same one that is in the pmc 04 pro 5.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

And do not worry, not long after it will be available, you will find mapping for the vci 380 for traktor, because i'm sure 50 % of people that will buy it will also want to use it with traktor
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

How about the VCI-100 plus audio 8/6/whatever? Seems to have everything you're asking for, unless I'm missing something?
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    How about the VCI-100 plus audio 8/6/whatever? Seems to have everything you're asking for, unless I'm missing something?
    some pads. Add a midi fighter and your set

Tech Student

The added pads on the 380 do open up some good opportunities. Especially when it comes to the remix decks. Being able to upgrade the crossfader was one of the things that made me interested in the 380.

The latency problem that oneapemob mentions between dvs and phono is noticable and being able to tighting it up some more would be good.

I suppose I'm trying to gauge what sort of demand there would be out here for the VCI-380 with a Traktor mapping and if there might be enough to get a DJTT mapping with the kinda quality I get out of my VCI-100SE + more with the extra features available on the 380.
    Traktor SP, PMC-08, PDX-2000, VCI-100SE, Macbook