Advice on Mixer Upgrade/ FX Abilities

Default Advice on Mixer Upgrade/ FX Abilities

Hello all.

I've recently decided that I would like to upgrade my mixer to one that has FX capabilities, whether through a external FX unit via send/receive (like a KP3) or by an onboard FX unit (DJM700, DN-x1600, etc). I'm unsure which setup would be more beneficial for my sets (along with my budget) and any advice on this setup issue would be extremely appreciated.

As for what brand of mixer, I am unsure on this issue as well. The Pioneer series are, of course, the standard and I was certain that was what I was going to try for. Recently though, I've heard that, despite the hype, they are flawed in some ways (surprise) and I have opened my mind a little and am willing to look at other brands. Some of the Denon X mixers seem good but I also hear tales of poorly made Denon products :/ I would love to hear some ideas and advice on some of the best, high quality mixers from various brands that can survive for years. Looking at specs is good but personal tales of pros/cons are usually more truthful.

I am primarily a trance DJ, so FX and 4 channels are essential to me. As a side note, I wouldn't mind it also having a MIDI connection, since I am planning on still using software in the future, but its not necessary as I'm using a non-MIDI mixer currently (American Audio MX-1400).

If you could aid me in this important decision in anyway, I would be very appreciative; this is huge upgrade for me and would like to make my money's worth out of it. Thanks for taking time to read my post!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I had a DNX1600 and it was a great mixer with absolutely no issues with quality. You can find used ones in the $800 range if you're patient.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Great to know! It sounded like a good mixer and seems like it has everything I require; a few of my friends have complained about some of Denon's stuff, but that was related to CDJs so they might be unrelated.

Has anybody ever used external FX processing? Does it compare very well with onboard FX processing? That's kind of a major factor in my mixer choice; should external FX be better, I could probably save a lot of money purchasing a simple 4 channel mixer with MIDI and no FX.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM